Wednesday, July 8, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: Issue 21


Issue 21: Old Wounds



            I ran a search with my credentials after the show aired. I found a way for Anna to get clearance to go back onto Camp Osiris as an FBI consultant. I think I'll keep that little connection on the back burner. People might not believe me within the general population sphere but those who do, I will twist to my purpose. Every avalanche begins with a crack of pebbles.-Hilary Brookes.

            I still replay that vid in my memory. The anguish in Jacob’s voice. Sometimes I doubted myself as a mother. Considering Eliza’s birth. What I didn’t realize at the time: Zachary’s feelings were being transmitted to me via the umbilical cord. I know now that Eliza put some empath shields up for him but he still knew something was wrong at the Blue Saucer. He could feel the corruption.-J’ino Ayeer. 

I remember flying all over the place when mom showed up. The contractions had already started and all I could pick up from Zachary was absolute terror. The blood dripping from my nose as we approached the Blue Saucer.  Apple took a chance that day, it nearly scrambled my brain for good but I’d put everything on the line to keep them safe. It was because of this incident that I never developed any matter manipulation. That track forever cut off. No matter. As long as I can fly my ship, nothing in this galaxy can stop me.-Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

Camp Osiris, Murphy Household
USA (Commonwealth of Texas)
February 9th, 2096

I could hear the conversation before I even stepped anywhere near the threshold. Anna’s churlish tone grated on my senses. I could only imagine how much this upset my mother and in her condition, I didn’t want anyone disturbing my soon to be baby brother either. I quickened my pace. Lorain let out a startled squeak as I picked her up and broke out into the best “normal” run that I could generate without raising too many eyebrows. Lorain took one look at my face and realized just how dire the situation was. She blanched. Gave out a nervous bark of laughter. “That bad Cornfed?”  I tried to muster a response. She reached out and gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze. In an instant, she went from concerned friend to battlefield medic, expecting the worst.
My childhood home was just ahead, standard two-story domicile for a base like this. Its gray and brown coloration just as I remembered it. The white door just as picturesque as anything out of a modern-day catalog.
 That door to my childhood home slammed open as obscenities followed by pewter dishes flew out of the threshold. Two MPs exited the house with Anna secured by each arm. Her red lipstick was smudged while my two half-siblings looked on.
            Anna, the one key factor in everyone’s lives that made things go haywire. She sneered at me. Then bellowed, “OH LOOK! THE GOLDEN CHILD!” Her voice was slurred. I winced as one of her shoe heels dig into an MPs boot. He wasn’t amused at all. They dumped her into the back of the vehicle, showing a fair amount of restraint considering the situation.
Samantha looked mortified. Her normal raven hair was in disarray. Navy blue pantsuit all out of sorts. Her hands wrapped around Jacob’s forearm. For his part, my brother looked about as stoic as dad would. His face changed when he saw me. A mixture of anger and guilt radiated off him. But underneath it all: Acceptance. If you put him side by side with dad, you’d think they’d be twins. Except Jacob was supporting a very immaculate beard. My grandmother, Eleanore Murphy exploded out of the doorway, armed to the hilt with more dishes. Like a certain lovely doctor I knew, if looks could kill, grandma would be winning the gold right now. She didn’t have to say a word. I conveniently blocked her path. Lorain walked over to Jacob and Samatha, murmuring something. Out of respect, I clamped down on my super hearing. Right now, the only thing that mattered was the very irate matriarch in front of me.
“Gran, I think those dishes have seen enough action today.” I pitched my voice low enough so that only she could hear it. The blazing anger slowly ebbed from her body. She looked up at me. Her fingers loosened and I caught the remaining ammunition. Lorain came over and lead her over to Jacob and Sam. I hurried into the house. Senses stretched out. Finding mom in the back portion of the house. Her breathing was still erratic and I was there in a flash. I set the remaining dishes on the master bed.
 “Momma?” She turned, her face still wet with tears. I lifted her, taking special care to provide proper support for her back. “Zach’s ok. He’s sleeping through all of this.” I used my vision to triple check, his thumb was firmly planted in his mouth, eyes half-closed. His heartbeat was fast but not abnormal.
Voice still clogged with tears, “How did that woman get on the base? We opened the door expecting Thomas or Abraham but it was her instead.” She shuddered as I sat down on the bed. I didn’t say anything for a while, just holding her as the emotional windstorm passed, rocking her until I heard her breathing even out. She was lightly dozing when the door opened and grandma peeked in. I motioned silently and she tiptoed in. 

*****
                Eleanore wrapped her arm around her granddaughter. Taking care not to wake Jennifer. At this point, her daughter in law was close to bursting. The roses in the room turned a darker red as they fed off her demi powers. Eventually, she whispered, “Thomas should be home in an hour or so. Some FBI moron put that woman on a visitor list. He revoked it.” Eliza frowned at that. Her eyes were troubled. “Wonder if it's related to that caller on the show? I know some dismiss conspiracy stuff but it wouldn’t shock me. Considering my other line of work.”  
            The elder Murphy considered this. Her whole mind turning. “Well, I’ll get something going. Someone has to keep all you young ones fed.” Eliza shot a half-smile at her grandmother, “You’re still pretty young too gran-gran. You and grandpa still have a few centuries left.” She stuck her tongue out. Eleanor planted a peck on the cheek of her grandkid, “You are far too incorrigible for your own good.”

*****
                The rest of the night went as normal. Dad, Grandpa, and Jacob retired to the Murphy mancave. I stuck around until NASA made an alert for some incoming meteors to some zero-g labs. On the plus side, they had some more titanium within. Doc stayed with mom to monitor Zach. I kept one ear on home as my fists turned the various space rocks into manageable elements. The Emerald K-9 chased after some fragments, fiding a particularly big one with some platinum in it. Most dogs would love a day on the beach. Cooper loved to charge headfirst into the void and play with stars themselves. His mind voice beckoned me over, <<Star! Look at this! HORUS! What is this?!?!>>
            Horus phased in next to the german shepherd as he pranced around his discovery. I could see his red iris expanding as he recorded whatever lay within the meteorite. Within the craggy surface was a statue or figurine of some sort. I pried it out gently. Melting the material around it until it came free. How odd, it had two right arms and one left. I had no idea what kind of language was imprinted upon it so I summoned the Jupiter Rising over. Cloaked as always. Couldn’t have people connecting me with my civilian ID. Placing the treasure in quarantine. Just standard procedure. All the results came back negative. Maybe I’d have Captain Lanis look at it. It was shaped with outer platings of armor. Ivory and copper? I motioned Horus over. “Any idea what this is?”
            ((Running inquires now captain. The time frame required: 22 days 12 hrs 35 mins 20 seconds.))
            Another mystery for another day. 

Downtown Ashbury, Eliza’s Studio Apartment
USA (Texas)
March 2nd, 2096

            Rapid knocking threw me out of bed as I floated downstairs.
            My body reacting before my mind. Feet never touching the ground. The clock read half past 2 am. Doc scrambled into her housecoat and followed. She had fallen asleep next to me while administering more therapy for my back. I knew that heartbeat anywhere. By now there were 10 such rhythms that I knew like the back of my hand. I opened the door and there was Mom, wrapped in an oversized raincoat as the storm outside rumbled.  Her eyes were wide and glassy. Lorain immediately dashed for the garage, bringing out an emergency bag. “We have to go, now!” I didn’t argue, I just threw on my NASA hoodie, no shoes or socks. Over my white t-shirt. Black sweatpants. Doc got into the driver’s seat of mom’s hovercar. No frills. Off we went.
            I ran my hand along her stomach. Zach was terrified. I peered within and gasped in shock. He was forming an organic shield around himself. A partial one, akin to what grandpa could do with metal. Mom’s eyes locked with mine. I could tell she wanted to talk but something was stopping her. One hand was on her stomach. The other held on to my hoodie.
            Mr. Apple popped into the front passenger seat. He tapped me on the forehead.
            Forgive me. This will burn many Typherian bridges for you.
            Audibly I replied, “What? Typherian? I don’t….”
            Lorain and mom’s auras of surprise ran along my spine.
            My mind swirled. Filling in so many gaps. I frowned with understanding. “Doc, we can’t go to the Blue Saucer. They sent J’dax on a wild goose chase. House Genetic Idoicy is compromised. One, Apple gave me temp access to my shrouded memories. Two: Admiral Y’lansa was afraid of this. Three: Dad is inbound, I can hear him. Four: I have gone past the Uplift barrier encircling Sol territories 100s of times now. My mind is a mirror. But this has to be done. They can't get my brother. Not ever. Urraden may be in play with this as well.”
            Mom hugged me, nodding rapidly. I gave her arm a reassuring squeeze.
            Lorain did a double-take. That was her nickname for the Science Division people. It was the only way I could think to get her absolute attention. I wish I could keep these memories. It would make Earth safer even quicker but then Chronos would catch on. I felt the needles stabbing behind my eyes. There would always be a price. It’s why most of the Uplifted community was so careful. The mind was vital, could survive many things, but repeated shrouding measures took a toll on even the most disciplined of minds.
            Couldn’t have that so this was the next best thing, I brought my com-array online, linking to dads, speaking the words we had planned for months. In case something like this should ever occur.
            //Atten: Space of All-Sky, Shall we play a game. Hide here said the hen. The clock strikes 10, go forth 20,000 paces, meeting at the hollow places.//  His reply was exactly what I wanted to know.
            //CC: I see all that dwells here, Five Nuns go away, finding Excalibur in the way.//
            Mom kept reading the message. I piped up with, “The left and right hands reign.” Her hand cupped my cheek. “It’s ok mom. House Odessen prepped me on some stuff. Roped father into it as well.”
            She shot me a very concerned glance.
            “Even if I won't remember this until later. I hope. I wish I could bring a certain Red Belted Aunt into the proceedings but we can’t let them figure out your Earth ID. It’s a good thing only a handful of people know you married locally. As far as Uplifted Parties are concerned.”
            Mom rapidly tapped my arm. Using the coded language she had developed with her father.
            Who knows at the embassy? For certain!              
            Ritark, his mother, J’dax, Aunty, A certain Forger Ambassador. The Lady. As for not local? Just A certain Wolf, his consort and Dad’s Typherian counterpart. Besides the Bardaxians at A51.
            Mom smiled slightly. She found it amusing and gratifying that I compared dad to Y’lansa. Mr. Apple held up a net. It was undulating with different colored lights. Never staying one shade or the other. He gave it to me.
            This will help you give false readings in his vehicle.  
            At the Crossroads of Avalon St and 10th Avenue, we met up with father, then I instructed Doc to go into the parking garage. I got out, threw the net into his car. Forms coalesced into Mom and three guardsmen. From her homeworld no less. The General programmed it to head for the Saucer. Dad climbed into the middle row seat with Mom while Apple moved into the rearmost seat beyond that. I took the station next to Lorain. “Head to these coordinates. We are going for a joy ride. But give me a moment.” She nodded. My nose started to bleed slightly. Mom saw this and trembled in my father’s embrace.
            Dad’s eyes narrowed angrily. “I got this.” Our car warped. The outer shell changing. Going from a gunmetal grey to being covered with the logo of NASA, indicating that this hovercar was a tech material transport. Its sheer white body contrasting wonderfully with the logo slapped across its hood. “Head out in about 2 mins. The eye in the not friendly sky is still circling.” Father turned and growled at Apple, “What will this cost Eliza this time?” He replied, his mind voice like a thunderhead, That was not your wife who changed this vehicle.
            I grinned faintly at dad, “I don’t care about having any powers Marshmellow Man. I won't let these things hurt you guys ever again. Even if I have to give up all my other world’s heritage. To the point that my Earth powers fade. It doesn’t matter. Powers are irrelevant if you can’t protect those you love. Besides you do it all the time daddy. ” Lorain enhanced a box of tissues, it glowed white-hot for a moment, then she shoved it in my face.
            “That should fix your nose you giant flying brick.” Her voice was laced with tears. “I know Doc.” I peered skyward. Through the reinforced materials of the parking garage. The void walker probe shot off in the direction of the decoy.
            “Let’s go.”
            Lorain squeezed my forearm for a moment.
            Driving off into the night. Mom let out a pent up sigh of relief as Zach’s organic barrier faded.  Father said, “Where to?” I smiled, “To the stars!”
            Mom nearly grinned with that. Her green-gray within black eyes taking on a more upbeat cast. She shook her head ruefully. Mouthing, “Cornball!”

North Rachel
Nevada (The Blue Saucer)
March 2nd, 2096

            Ishtar watched as the hovercar approached. Its gunmetal exterior holding the most precious cargo. Through his probe, he saw the hired help surround the vehicle. Getting into a rather dreadful firefight with the King’s Own. He brought his probe to ground level. Relishing in the various elements on display. The copper tang of blood filled the air. The probe gathered some samples as the battle ensued. The Typherian Ambassador was in the rearmost seats. Writhing in pain as the contractions hit. Civilians and other stupid humans were running in all directions. A faint hiss echoed throughout the battlefield. One demi raced into the area to evacuate people. Thinking this was merely a gang ambush gone wrong. To outside observers, it looked exactly like that. Minor powered demi criminals attempting a carjacking. One of the sleepers, a medic from House Cyphuskara, raced to her side, attempting to assist with the birth. As he reached for her, everything slowed to a crawl, even the probe’s warning was cut short.
            Ishtar’s blackened eyes keyed in on the Scholar sigils as they engulfed everything around the restaurant. He screeched with shock and pain as the symbols burned into his brain. He had time enough for one thought: A trap!
 
*****
           The Mighty Mallet blinked. His orange and white suit was pristine again. One moment, it was utter chaos, then silence. No shots, no gang members, no car in sight. All the wounds on everyone were gone. Like it never happened. He ping’d Sir Avalon, “I think we might have a problem.” All around him the civilians milled about in abject confusion. A few of them even muttering, “Wha? Where am I?” The demi knew he wasn’t nuts. He remembered the screams. The scent of blood in the air. A weird black sphere floating near the car. What on Earth was going on?!
            Granted, he was only a local level demi but he took pride in protecting his sector. Even if it was magic. Please let it be a crazy magic time device and not some ancient cult. Those were pretty creepy. He hated horror movies. 

Med-bay
Jupiter Rising (Cloaked)
March 2nd, 2096

            J’ino screamed soundlessly as the final contraction hit. Unlike human babies, the cord had to remain attached for up to 48 hours after birth. To allow for the transfer of information they would need for development later. It was sending even now. Adding to the mind song within Zachary. She shuddered, tears falling on the blankets as she felt him touch her mind. Eliza had piloted Jupiter to somewhere safe. Beyond all reach, as she called it. J’ino wished she could have spoken properly but without a Typherian mate to carry part of the mental load, she had to put her full attention on her son. She winced as she left marks on Thomas’ hand. He placed a tender kiss on her forehead, “Don’t worry, I know why. Besides Murphy men are built like Grav-Trains.” Eliza ran a finger alongside Zach’s temple. “There you go. Full empath shielding now.” She looked over, Mr. Apple was in the room once more.
            His features were joyful yet tinged with regret.
            Time is almost out. I cannot hold the shrouded memory back for much longer.
            Mom reached for me. I placed a hand on her and my brother. “It's ok. Jupiter!”
            My ship sang out, “Yes Captain?”
            “Prepare to re-enter normal space. Target: Io. Run normal cloaking procedures. I'll be in my ready room. My recommendation for memory mask re-integration: Mom and dad wanted to see the new ruins found on Io. Thinking that is was safe since my ship has state of the art medical supplies, I gladly went along with this. Doc disagreed but accompanied us because she’s more responsible.”
            Lorain giggled at this. “Right. So responsible.” She punched me on the arm.
I continued, “In reality, you will tell me later its because you didn’t want to chance Anna getting anywhere near mom this close to baby time. So instead of being at a hospital, you guys did this. I went along with it because I love to fly and trust you.” I winked as I left the medbay. I asked Apple before all proper memory faded, “Please tell me this will be worth it.”
This will shield the universe. You must be the Wall between life and death.
My eyes grew heavy as sleep took me.

*****

Thomas cradled his wife and son in his arms. Both were sleeping soundly. He kept checking the umbilical cord for all the primary attributes present for Typherian development. His son’s cord had extra nodes running along every few inches. His spine was developed properly. Lorain was running continual scans of her own. To have an undamaged base level for what should have been present with Eliza. Her power flowed through them, even healing his hand, to which he nodded with thanks. “Doctor, its alright if you go see to our Space Cadet. I’ll page you if anything else develops.” Lorain ran her power over them once more. Just to be certain. With a tired grin, she left without a word.
Thomas watched Lanis a moment longer. Noting the set of her shoulders. Unbowed and determined.  He leaned back into the pod. His mind was wide awake and alert. He would keep vigil and catch them if they should fall.
Always.
*****
Lorain cradled Eliza’s face. Probing for any other marks upon her brain or spine. She could see the blemishes where her matter manipulation connectors should be. Even those ends were burnt off now. No hope of rejuvenation. The doctor reinforced the basic telepathic links. No matter what, she wanted Eliza to be able to hear her mother. IF that was the only thing she could salvage, so be it. Based on Mrs. Murphy’s actions and desires, Lanis could tell that was the primary hope she did have. Just a way to tell her daughter in a Typherian way that she was loved. She curled up next to Eliza, placing a hand over her demi leader’s heart. That odd rhythm echoing within. She tapped into her core, letting her power flow even more deeply within Eliza’s chest.
The beat rose slightly. One eye cracked open, “Heya doc. Mom and Zach doin good?” Sleep brought every word down to a near whisper. Lorain tapped her captain on the forehead, “Of course Cornfed. Your dad wanted some quiet time so I came to check up on you.” Eliza mumbled something. Lorain rested her head on Eliza’s shoulder. “What was that?”
*****
                I brought my chin up, craning my neck against the headrest, “I said you are the best.” Her green eyes locked onto mine for a moment. Then she poked me on the nose, “Except no substitutes!” There was that push on my senses. A flair along the emotional spectrum. I felt my jaw crack as I yawned. “Might as well take a look at those Io ruins tomorrow. How about it?”
            She patted my shoulder, making herself more comfortable, “Maybe this time you can find something less creepy.”
            Creepy?                                                                           
I tried to pull myself up, to ask her more but a gentle wave of music echoed throughout the ship. Its soothing tones drowning out whatever questions were on my mind. With everyone safe, I drifted off. The stars were twinkling in the void like lighthouses.
*****
                Mr. Apple watched the curvature of Io on the main viewing deck. Its normally volcanic surface looking deceptively peaceful from this vantage point. Swirls of yellow, brown, and orange mixed to draw the eye to the equator. The Terran Alliance had an observation station on the surface, under an artificial shielded dome. While the thin grey space elevator connected it to the small habitat ring orbiting it. The outpost his people had planted there long ago was still hidden. The ruins were a decoy. Meant to lead astray. One day, he knew Eliza would stride along those hallowed halls.
            To bring the mantle down upon the Void Walkers once and for all.

Keeper Null Ship
Designation: X'talia
Date Unkown

Ishtar examined the probe once more. Its entire database had been purged with that Scholar countermeasure. His thin lips stretched out. A parody of a smile. Dark eyes peering into the distorted innards. The pain of the scholar brand still echoed within. Chonos loomed over the smaller Keeper. “Well? Any idea how that Scholar linked into our plans? Perhaps Thoth and his associates haven’t been careful enough.”

Ishtar replied, “No leads as of yet Director. We still have other avenues open. Perhaps we should just use Urraden genetic stock. As a test bed of sorts.” Chronos nodded. “Excellent. Proceed.” He would have the necessary Typherian material by any means possible. 
Even if that initial material was quite inferior.

Issue 20: Here 
Issue 22:  Here

2 comments:

  1. I'm kind of confused on what happened here. Eliza looses her matter manipulation powers thanks to Mr.Apple? The Blue Saucer was a wild goose chase? I'm less clear on what went on. But the Keepers got baited that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she didnt have much matter manipulation due to what happened at birth. Apple activated what he could but that ended up KO'ing what ever embers were left in that arena.

      So whatever ability she would have had, provided Doc had enough time, could have healed it somewhat. *But at the time they didnt have Dexter's nodes to work with, which is a mix of his ability merged with what would have been Eliza's ability threshold as well. The Mighty Mallet will return for a bit of fun in S3 as well. Teamed up with more Bardaxians. Will probably rework this chapter later on to make things even more clear. :D

      Delete