Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: Issue 20


Issue 20: And Now for a Word


Have Demis or Demi-gods done anything good for Humanity that wasn’t in their interest? Tin Gods sitting upon an Empty Throne. That can always be melted. They have no right to play with our lives. Humanity is more than the sum of its parts. The “Star-Spangled Banner.” What non-sense. Infantilizing Patriotism that belongs in a grave. A dead era of American Ideology. - Ms. Anna Preston-McGuire, host of “Into the Fire”

My opinion? McGuire is a bitter old woman who no longer hears the dance. Her feet have atrophied to the point that even a weary Detective like me has more pep in his step. The heart of America is still as strong as ever. We are still a Nation dedicated to Truth, Justice, and Liberty. Some might find “Star” out of date or irrelevant but that just showcases that even if Earth has formed the Terran Alliance, this lifeboat in the sea of stars still maintains its independent spirit, we are all citizens of Earth. But we all walk our ways too. Sure, some choose a villain's path but more often than not, we get more Star-Spangled Banners. Earth, with all its differing opinions, still exists. We only need to discover our Path. The only Tin Gods are those who choose to use their powers for their own personal gain.”
–Argus Paxton, NAPD, Senior Detective, and Liaison to the Legion of Tomorrow. 

Anna, on the best of days, was usually drunk. I don’t have too many good early memories of her. When I was 10, she smacked me across the face for asking to see my sister. I never told my parents. But like anything else, my mother was able to put things together. In this day and age, I know her Typherian abilities assisted in her uncanny “hunches.” But when I was a child? I thought it was some sort of demi ability. Like Paxton’s. The ability to sense the truth in words. When one is that young, all they want from the adults is some sort of guidance. Based on what I know now: I wish I could have stolen my siblings from Anna.  It would be a long time before she set her life on a much different and healthier path.- Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

Unix Media Hall
Downtown Ashbury
January 8th, 2096

                Anna Preston-McGuire applied the last brush of red lipstick. Her black hair was done up in a bun. Sharp grey eyes ran over every angle. No blemish, one had to be perfect for the cameras.  So far the ratings for her show mostly came from her brutal diatribes on demis like the Golden Bulleteer and that upcoming rookie team called the Golden Redeemers. Most skeptics still didn’t believe they had the planet’s interests at heart. No matter what they did or said on holovision. She placed bets on people’s innate suspicion of those with more power. Her smile was turgid at best. At worse she could cut a man off at his knees. She still relished the memory of seeing her ex-husband’s face as she took the children away. A line of worry gnawed at her back of her mind: was I too harsh? After all, the man only cared about his job. She sniffed daintily at the wine before her. Red or White?

            She pushed the errant blip of guilt to the furthest point in her mind. To collect dust with the rest of her soul. Bringing up the latest reports made her lips curl. Star this! Redeemers that! Who did the White Lily save today? Good lord. So many people were such sheep. Didn’t they realize demis were nothing but trouble?

*****
            Samantha Murphy sat in the reception area. While she inherited her mother’s bronzed complexion and hair, on some level her eyes, the same chocolate brown as her father, caused her mother fits of rage. It's not like her step-father helped. He was far too busy with his work. Which is what her mother accused her former husband of. The irony wasn’t lost on Sam. Her simple but elegant green suit made for a nice contrast. A voice called out from the entryway. Jacob, her older brother, was waiting. As she made her way over, she nearly tripped over her neatly polished high heels. Her half-sister was there as well. In her usual ensemble of NASA  jacket, jeans, and t-shirt. “What are you both doing here? Especially you sis. Considering….”
Her comment trailed off. Eliza took it in stride, “Heya Butterfly! I was in the neighborhood. Handyman here was displaying the newest hardware upgrades for my ship. It's rather fancy!” Jacob’s gray eyes, so much like mothers, nearly rolled out of his head but the twitch in his lips hid a secret: Big brother’s always protected their sisters. Even if that sister was at eye level with him. When he spoke up, his tone gruff, “Right. Like you don’t get into enough trouble. I just make sure your very pretty ship comes back in one piece.” Jacob, while his forte was shuttle work, knew his sister well enough to add in other special programs to Jupiter’s training modules. His holo display winked into existence. A rather paternal visage filled the pickup.
 General Thomas Murphy regarded his son with disciplined silence while his eyebrows shot up when he saw all three of them together. His commanding tone carried through the pickup, “I hope Sunday dinner is still on. Your grandmother wants more pictures for her wall.” Jacob pursed his lips in thought before replying, “Sam and I will be there. No worries on that account. Besides grandma has good aim.” Eliza held back a fit of laughter at that. Samantha shook her head and hooked an arm through her sister’s.
Samantha made a face at the screen, a mix of frustration and humor on her features.  Her frown deepened, “I quote: Why on Earth did you clear that relic for anything? I thought I raised you better.” Samantha blew out a frustrated sigh, “ I swear, I wish I had been more assertive growing up. Mom never gives any Demi a fair shake. Especially Star.” Eliza twitched slightly. Rubbing the back of her neck. Sam’s line of sight darted to the main doorway where her mother filmed her show.
“Besides grandma thinks I look nice in my Legion representative uniform. Mom still hasn’t forgiven me for registering the Star-Spangled Banner for HeroNet clearance. I gave her cart Blanche during the Cabal Grav Train Transit attack.” She added hastily, “On your authorization of course. She went category 5 after finding that out. But part of me was feeling very rebellious that day. I am not her wallflower.”
Meanwhile, Eliza gazed down at the floor, crestfallen but rallied when her brother ruffled her hair. He muttered, “Mom’s only friend is wine. If I had to be very blunt. Believe me, Sam and I have tried but nothing gets through that thick skull of hers.”
*****
            I winced. Failing to keep the remorse from my features.  
            The simple despair underneath my brother’s statement ate away at my heart. Anna was caustic and prickly but my brother and sister loved her dearly. Wanting to turn her from this path she walked upon. After the split, with small pushes here and there, I discovered just how badly she had clung to her children. Seeing them as the only lifeline in a marriage gone wrong. Which, in my opinion, was a great weight for anyone, let alone kids. Jacob’s uncle had become a surrogate father. To the point that while Sam had moved back home, he had gravitated towards the workshop and the simplicity of machinery.
Fumbling over my words, embarrassment rising, “Maybe get her away from the city. A wilderness retreat perhaps?” Jacob just stood there. Blinking at me. His expression was painfully blank. Like I had grown five heads and a large glowing light of a nose. My sister took notice. The momentary silence ticked by. Purgatory was lifted when Sam hugged me. Jacob took that as permission to go grab some coffee, “The usual?”
            A lump formed in my throat, “Sure.” Old memory stabbed at me. Pricking against the walls I had formed around my heart. Rather than letting us form a link as kids, Anna did her best to keep my siblings from me, saying I was proof that dad was a two-timing cheater. Even though mom met him years later. What planet Anna was from was still in discussion. I voted Venus.
Her tone was rather apologetic, “Don’t worry too much Space Case. I know you mean well but our mother would rather bury you in the sand than listen to anything you’d provide.” Father interjected, “In any event, I'll be back on Earth before then. Be ready.” The holo display cut off with a rushed goodbye as some updates pulled him back to the job at hand. Sharp footfalls resounded throughout the lobby, a shrill voice shrieked, “What is she doing here?” I dug my boots in, pivoting to face the woman that terrorized everyone and anything around her. “Hey, Mrs. McGuire! How are you on this fine day?” I made sure to keep my voice level and calm. With a dash of my usual brightness. I wasn’t going to act any different around her. No matter the piranha level. At times, I wish I wasn’t an empath. I could feel the self-loathing bleeding off of her. A leak she had no idea how to mend. That was the true horror. How do you heal something you don’t even know is wounded?
Samantha held on to my arm even tighter. Her eyes boiling with quiet defiance. I laid a hand on top of hers, giving it a reassuring squeeze.
*****
            Anna’s heels click-clacked against the polished flooring. Her eyes were drawn to her children like a lioness. With the ugly duckling crowding in on her cubs. What was that thing doing here? “I asked you a question, Samantha! Why is the Golden Child here?” She took special care to spell out the nickname with venom. Drawing out each word like a curse. Her daughter continued to huddle against the girl like she was the only dry land in a storm. That infuriated Anna on an instinctive level. She had been the one wronged in the marriage. Why her children couldn’t see that was a problem she had yet to solve. As she stepped closer, her movements taking on a rather feline grace, her son stepped in front, his arms crossed. “Mother, put your claws away. They aren’t wanted here.” His stance reminded her of Thomas. Her eyes locked onto Jacob, “Son, that is no way to talk to your mother.”
A half-smile formed under his black beard.
            “Really mother? We aren’t kids anymore. Get a fucking clue. Cry on Archibald’s shoulder. You use him like Kleenex anyways.” Her eyes grew wide. Mouth open with amazement at her son’s equally aggrieved tone.
            “You have no right….” He cut her off with a sharp poke on the forehead. Each time following up with another tap.
            His voice was a bucket of cold water on her wrath.
“Mother. One: I will not forgive you for shitting on my little sisters while we were kids. Two: You have a horrible attitude, work on that. Three: I love you but you haven’t been clear-headed since you divorced father. Four: Jennifer Murphy isn’t the devil. She has a more motherly concern in her pinky finger. You self-righteous sanctimonious bitch.”
A fragile hush fell upon the lobby. Onlookers turned away quickly as Anna stormed off. Silent tears falling as she retreated into the prep room.
*****
            Horus, cloaked on the ceiling, relayed this entire scene, from multiple angles to General Murphy and his wife. His scanners recording the various levels of outrage from Jacob Murphy and his mother.
*****
            My eyes held a new sense of wonder at Jacob. I stood, shell shocked as he walked back over with our coffees. He cut off any comments with a sharp shake of his head. “Not here. Later. For now, let's just go somewhere more pleasant. I’ve had my fill of other kinds of human contact today.” I nodded, still numb from the confrontation. Part of me was glad he came up to the table for us. Another part broke as the feelings of despair from Anna flowed over me. Hitting home just how insanely alone in a crowded room she was.
            Not understanding why the wound opened wider with every beat of her heart.
            I didn’t even realize I was crying until Sam dabbed my face with her handkerchief.
Into the Fire
Unix Media Studios
Nightly Slot: Episode 245 “Does Earth Need Demis?”

                Paxton ran a hand through his sandy hair. Earlier that day Thomas had forwarded a vid to him, asking for his discretion. After viewing it, he wanted to buy Eliza and her siblings some well-deserved sundaes. Even if that wouldn’t make up for the childhood misfortunes. Well done Jacob. He knew it hurt for the young man to stand up that way to his mother but even sons had a breaking point. Especially when their little sisters were involved. Anna’s makeup was as immaculate as ever but he could see the redness hiding there. Even a banshee could cry. It was small comfort though as she grated out, “Demis are an affront to humanity. The Banner is one of the worst offenders. Outdated and unwanted. Who’s egotistical enough to wear our flag on her back? She doesn’t speak for America or Earth. The sheer gall.” He waited, letting the crowd settle down from all the jeering, shouts, arguments, and everything in-between.
            His response hit home in a way he intended, “Because she loves Earth and her people beyond anything anyone could imagine. Have you ever looked at her HeroNet profile? Our regulations for Legion membership requires physiological and social testing. Which includes a training module, VR, wherein the demi is stripped of all powers. Want to know what Star did?”
            He waited, bringing up the record so others could see, watching the attitudes shift. Even one as deluded as Anna was forced to watch. The building was engulfed in flames but Star didn’t hesitate. She bounded into the building, dragging out survivors by any means that she could. One, two, even three people piled up on her shoulders. The exhaustion on her face was there for all to see. But she never gave up, bloodied and burnt, she kept running back into that building. The few emergency workers in the audience recognized a kinship. They knew. They risked everything at a moment’s notice. So did the Star-Spangled Banner. No matter the cost. One bulky man, a firefighter by his build, calmly stated, “She’s a shield for those who have none.” Most in the room nodded along. One other stood up, “But it was VR!”
            More piped up. “Yeah! That doesn’t mean anything!”
            Paxton expected this, “We disable the safety measures. So they feel everything that happens within the program. In the Legion’s history, anyone we name a Prime Demi displays the courage Star showed within the training. She very nearly killed herself getting everyone out. Even if it was only for “training.” It goes beyond that. The very mind of the person is unmasked. If you will forgive the pun.”
            Anna’s right eye twitched. Paxon smiled politely. “Star would be Star, with or without her powers.”
*****
            Hilary Brookes growled at the screen. “Come on Anna, fire back at that smug prick. Who cares what the Banner’s social merits are. There’s an interloper under that perfect good old girl grin!”

            Anna suddenly smiled, “And that’s supposed to give her a pass? Being ready to fly headfirst into danger? That could get more people killed! Hot-headed!” Brookes grinned with wolfish delight, her dark eyes taking on an insane glint, “Yes, she is the enemy!”

            The audience’s conversations died off as they awaited the Detective’s response.

*****

            Paxton clasped his hands under his chin, “Alright, you have her powers for a day! What do you do?” This change in direction caused Anna to whip her head back to Paxton. “What do you mean?” Her tone was tight and suspicious.
            “If you had her powers for a day. How would you USE them?”
            Her frown deepened. The synapses behind her eyes were firing ever so slightly.
            Paxton grinned, “Think about it, demis usually get their mojo when they hit puberty. Star? She’s had them since she was six.” The crowd gasped. He added, “Take a look, it's on her HeroNet Profile under history. Click under Evaluation Levels. It's all there.”
            He paused, letting the information sink in then continued,
            “Do you know how many 6-year-olds would be able to contain themselves? Star was raised with the idea that all life is precious. Plus it helped that many established demis take the youngsters into mentorship programs. Helps them settle easier. That way the responsibility doesn’t debilitate them.” He saw her flinch at the mention of mentorship.
            “You love to control people Anna. But in your case, you plant seeds of doubt, anger, and fear into otherwise normal hardworking people. Where the Star-Spangled Banner inspires, you seek to deconstruct every motivation any demi would have. To twist things to your warped narrative.”
            Her lips curled into what some would consider, at most charitable, a snarl. “Oh? If I’m such a nasty woman, why am I happily re-married? While this Banner lady flits about? I don’t see a ring on her finger. Maybe she will just die alone.”
One woman in the crowd retorted, “Demi work is dangerous. But if I had to place a bet: Who wouldn’t want to have someone like the Banner on their six. You just want to drag everyone through the mud.” The audience broke out in sporadic cheering. Shouts of anger rose above the din, “No one is that perfect! She’s hiding something.”
“Yeah dumbass! Her civilian identity!”
“Please, I’d marry that hotness…”
“You’d be target number 1 for every demi criminal!”
“Worth it!”
 Paxton eyed her with open contempt, “Really? That’s your big move? Do you know how dangerous it would be if anyone got the Identity of a Demi’s loved ones, friends, significant or otherwise? Learn to hit at your weight class, Mrs. Former Murphy.”
His jab had the intended effect. She motioned to commercial. Her fridged glance became arctic. “Was that your endgame all along Paxton? Thomas can’t fight his own battles so he sends in his attack dog to do it.”
            The former TA Major just shrugged. “I’m just a detective now. What could a little city-based PI like myself do to such an illustrious personage as yourself?” His smile was much too coy for Anna’s liking.
*****
            I watched Uncle Paxton, my face impassive, while mom held my hand in a death grip. To the point that her knuckles whitened. I covered her other hand with my own. It always felt weird when people were talking about me. In or out of uniform. Embarrassed wasn’t the word for it either. I thought what I did as a demi was what most would do if they had my powers. Mom tugged on my ever-present cap. “Where’s your mind at kiddo?” I managed a weak grin in response, “The usual! Everywhere but Earth!” Jacob snorted into his coffee cup. “NASA sure knows how to pick them.” The comment was tempered by a familiar grin under all the bearded teasing.
            Anna, her frown depicted with full Holo HD, cut the feed.
All of us just stared at the screen as the newest ad for the Terran Alliance Intelligence Bureau blared to life. Dad pipped up with, “I see Major Paxton can still hit the bullseye for shattering effect.” Grandpa Murphy had a resolute look. “Yup.” Grandma’s feelings of vindication were a whirlwind. I knew, out of everyone, Gran-gran took Anna’s behavior the hardest. She noticed me staring and put up a brave front. “Don’t you fret, I am well aware of my biases when it comes to Anna.” She never got over the fact that Jacob and Sam were used as weapons against everyone. Either to outrageous levels of guilt or as pawns to glean more money out of father.
Sam interjected with, “If there were more Stars in this universe, we’d all be in a much better place.” Cooper jumped up onto the couch and rested his head in Samatha’s lap. She scratched his chin and rubbed his belly. “What a handsome fellow you are!”
If barking could light up a whole sol system, he would have powered many extra colonies alone.  <<Yes! I take 2 baths a day. My fur is the regulation standard. Joyous earth therapy!>>
My sister didn’t hear that part of course but she laughed all the same when Cooper’s tail did its thing. Thumping with over-enthusiastic joy at the prospect of more premiere human attention.
Lorain brought more coffee to the living room. Set the tray down with a flourish, tartly stating, “Unlike some overblown holovid hosts, I would imagine Star will most certainly not be alone. Ever.” She gave me a very critical once over. “Doctor’s orders. You look like death warmed over Eliza.” She put some cream and sugar into the mug and put some espresso in after that. Handed me the steaming ceramic wonder and ordered me to drink. I tipped my cap in her direction. “Yes ma’am!” With gusto.
  Mom rubbed her belly.  Settling deeper into the chair. I leaned down to check how little Zachary was doing. Mom was pretty close now. So everyone was pulling in for the happy day. His mind was an emotional field of colors. I laid bricks down. Helping him build walls that he would need later. I was glad that I could do something for him. That way I could be a proper older sibling.  Jacob came over and placed a hand on mom’s side. His harsh countenance softened as he felt Zach kick against his palm. 

*****
             J’ino could feel some sort of communication pass between Eliza and her baby brother. She didn’t have a word for it but after her daughter was done, Zach immediately quieted down, which she was keenly grateful for. As everything got closer he was very active at the most inopportune times. She chewed on the inside of her cheek. Please let this one be calmer than last time. Rulers grant me that much.
            She smiled up at Jacob. “I talked it over with Thomas, I want you and Sam to be at the christening ceremony.”
*****
            My mouth dropped open. Then clicked shut when Lorain nudged me with her foot. Samatha and Jacob looked at one another. Sam was the first to speak up, “Are you sure?” I blurted out before mom could reply, “Of course! Your family no matter what!” Lorain poked me in the forehead with a spoon. “Cornfed, you have no manners.” Mom hiccuped at that. Holding her laughter in.  I was about to comment on the proper use of spoons when the feed cut in again. Anna had a fake smile in position while a caller keyed into the program. Dad’s complexion turned a shade of purple that I had never seen before. Mom reached over to pat his hand. “I wouldn’t worry too much.” Her tone was beyond knowing at this point. “Mama, what did you do this time?” Her eyes lit up with genuine mirth. “Trust me on this Space Cadet, there are some people who underestimate the powers of a concerned mother.”
*****
            Hilary Brookes dialed. Activated her voice Cloaker. The operator put her on hold. Eventually, Anna’s sparkling tenor was on the other end, “Into the Fire, caller you are on air. Any questions for my guest or audience?”
            “The Star-Spangled Banner isn’t even human, let alone American.” Anna’s tone held a note of curiosity but it was tempered with, “Not human? Any proof?” Hilary paused. How to deliver this? Oh yes. “She’s vulnerable to magic. I happened upon some genetic material after a particularly nasty fight she had.” She could hear Paxon laughing hysterically in the background. “OH MAN! Its that LADY again! We got some calls from that FBI wanna be last month. The ALIEN INVASION FORCE!”
            The audience joined in. The line went dead as Anna dropped her cold turkey.
            IF only that damned blood sample didn’t self immolate. Then those cowards would believe her.
*****
            From his position on top of the family espresso machine, Horus sent Highmaker an electronic high five, thanking him for his timely assistance with planting false conspiracy theories about Star’s parentage. Everything from cloning, super-soldier programs, alien abductions, and even radioactive goo flooded INet. It was pretty useful when between them, they registered over 305, 933, 343 accounts to HeroNet forums. At one point Taleer even dubbed the whole mission as the Star Anchor. Dubbing the “fanbase” as “Primers.” With a catchphrase of “All paths lead to the truth.”
            Highmaker sent a query to Horus, <<What does he mean by path? Wouldn’t there be a deviation somewhere? If there are multiple accounts with many paths?>>
            The F.R.A.M pondered this. Finally replying, <<Perhaps all paths lead to the singularity of mis-direction! We must, after all, keep everyone guessing. Agent Brookes must be kept ignorant.>> Taleer grinned within his virtual landscape. “I’m thinking we should have more fun with INet. It will give us something to do while we wait. Who wants to tackle these basic VR games next?”

Issue 19: Here
Issue 21: Here

4 comments:

  1. That was brave of Jacob and it didn't end in anything physical good for him. Keeping Agent Brookes ignorant though seems to be a failure since she already knows this much. Might be time to throw her in a deep hole in Atlantis and mitigate the risks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Muthra threads will come into play again. Along with Hilary and the rest. Brookes does have some advantages but was being actively monitored by the good guys. They didn't catch all her moves of course.

      I wanted to heal the initial rift between Jacob and J'ino first before I tackled Anna vs Everyone.

      Delete
  2. Did Hillary and Anna fall off the same assembly line at the Freeza Factory, or is them being almost exactly the same character a crossed brain wire type thing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying this again: Oh yes. There's some crossing of the brains/streams going on. ^_^ Anna is not understanding the Forest for the Trees atm.

    Blogspot detests Brave Browser so sorry for the late commentary.

    ReplyDelete