Thursday, July 2, 2020

The Uplift Protocol: Issue 19


Issue 19: A Muthra’s Duty


“History will dub my sister and me pariahs. I know better. The people of this Earth must be cleansed for Unity. At least that’s what I'll save for the history books. This world means nothing to me. Only family keeps me here. Even now the little ones scurry about in the dark.”- Snake Charmer,  Offical Prison Reports.

So not only do we have leaks within the Muthra, Thoth and his lackeys are working up to something big. General Murphy took me to a local museum. He indicated a battle Ta’mathon was in. He was fighting off hoards of Thoth’s minions. It was quite unsettling. I know this Project Barracuda is supposed to monitor the movements of the Everlasting but I wonder if that area has been breached somehow. Looks like I'll have to bring some of my team in. What could Thoth summon now? I bet he is going for Earth Magic. Even our people haven’t scratched the surface of its capabilities yet.-Arthon’s Security Logs

There are many unseen things within this world. Beyond life and death. A realm we should never breach. This Thoth has no regard for other men. To him, we are a giant testbed for his hammer.-Sir Avalon, Memory of Magic.

I am a shield, always have been, but that day I saw just how much Arthon appreciated that difference. Yes, the world needs protection. But it needs swords like Arthon, my father, my grandfather. I know he doesn’t like to admit it but the Golden Bulleteer, when he had to go all out, metal is a sword through and through. To safeguard life, one must have shields and swords.- Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century.

The man in black stared out across the idyllic harbor side of this illustrious American city and laughed. Oh yes, they would know the true horror soon enough. Not even that giant girl scout known as the Star-Spangled Banner could stop this from happening. What was a few years in jail or even temporarily dead compared to the chaos that was coming? In the end, it would only slow the inevitable, he merely enjoyed honing his skills. Besides its not like he owed Thoth anything. He saw the world as a broken thing. What were a few more bodies on the deck? He brought out the medallion, it hummed in tune with the Muthra artifact within the boardwalk. Seagulls called out. Their witless blaring squawks irritated Snake Charmer. He stared up into the stonework. The statue was inconsequential. What slept beneath it was another matter entirely.
One of the senile birds landed next to the base encompassing the statue. Its yellowed beak opened, begging for scraps. “I wonder if his pet would love the taste of sea-fowl?”

St. Christopher’s Boardwalk
New Ashbury, Historic South District
July 20th, 2095

            Lorain and my mother kept glancing in my direction. Doc was especially skittish. I had gotten a holo call earlier from dad. He was out on a patrol for his sector of responsibility. IE: Super secret stuff again. Felt like he was off doing that more lately. Normally I don’t pry too much but mom’s odd behavior was even more pronounced. Within the past week, she had taken Lorain to the side for some sort of project, to the point that we had to do a few sets of super-heroics without our team medic. I bit the inside of my cheek. Mostly to prevent any kind of accidental scanning. If there is one survival skill I learned while having enhanced senses: Don’t eavesdrop on family or friends. Snoopy nudged me with his cold nose.

            I took a tennis ball and threw it towards the ocean, being extra careful not to turbocharge it. It sailed towards the far end of the boardwalk. Just far enough that it would give my bardaxian friend a workout.

Today was an especially pretty day. Bright sunlight hitting the boardwalk just enough to warm it but not to the point of burning. Cooper was trotting ahead. His nose keyed in on some powerful aroma.

The cotton candy stalls.

I ordered two puffy balls of delight. Snoopy was there in a hot second. His small black nose quivering in anticipation. When he was properly motivated he could move almost as fast as a cheetah. Beagles were nature’s trash compactors. As Eddie would put it. After a few mumbling whines, his eyes going wide and pleading, I placed the morsel in front of Snoopy. Noticing this, Cooper came barreling over, doing his performance. Complete with paw out, awaiting the proper handshake procedure to earn treats. Cooper’s black coat was shined to perfection. It should be, considering how much effort I put into finding the right shampoo for him.

After the ritual was complete, he scooped the cotton candy very delicately from my hand, wanting to emulate Watson’s refined table manners.

His ears perked up, swiveling back and forth, in typical Shepherd fashion.

He turned instantly, barking with considerable joy, prancing in circles around mom.

*****

 <<IT IS TRUE! MY NOSE NEVER LIES!>>
Jennifer Murphy cupped Cooper’s furry face. “Shhh! Not yet. Jeez, it's hard to keep secrets from you too.” Lorain chuckled and gave the german shepherd some vigorous pats to distract him. Eliza had turned back to gaze out over the boardwalk. Her eyes scanning the horizon. A rather friendly dilute calico mewed softly. Eliza bent down to give the feline a scratch between the ears. “You be a good cat and run along now. I bet someone is missing you.” The cat purred with contentment and ran off. 

*****
I finally walked over to Mom. Cooper was still prancing excitedly. Almost like he was doing a jig. Mom kept shushing him. “Based on his continuous outbursts he’s probably locked into something big.” My mother hugged me, stating with some controlled excitement, “Well there was a reason I brought you both out here.” She was about to say more when the ground started quaking. I grabbed Lorain and Mother, dancing backward as the sand around us exploded outward. A black-garbed figure emerged. His yellowed eyes narrowed. A rather mellow voice called out, “I wouldn’t be so hasty. Looks like you will make for a fine hostage.” The cloth mask covering the lower part of his face would fool other people but I could see through it. What was the Cabal doing here?
Mr. Apple materialized next to me.
Don’t let him take that tube. Switch it with this.
I scanned the black-robed man. An identical tube was in my waistband as well.
The heartbeats around me heightened. Civilians scrambling in all directions. I sent a message to Cooper, ///Get Snoopy and run. Grab the other Golden Redeemers. I already sent an alert to Bulleteer and the Legion.///
A pit of terror formed at the center of my being.
Another pulse: a rapid and faint melody.
I kept my back strait. Forcing myself not to look down at Mother.
Her pulse was steady.
 Lorain had already taken a defensive position. I stepped forward, to keep his focus on me. I had always wanted to be shorter but today I was glad of my gargantuan height. He won’t take mom. Not ever, especially not now. I shouted, “Fine. I’ll go.” Metallic claws sprang out, entrapping me, dragging me next to him. My hands were still free to maneuver. He thought I was a scared civilian. Good.
//EM to Horus: Snake Charmer has new claws. Be ready when you land.//
Feining rage and terror I head-butted him. Blood flowed from my nose. Confirming his tainted status. The main difference was his new weapons. Void Walker tech. Now those feelings weren’t just for show. With lightning speed, nearly as fast as Grandpa, while he was seeing stars I switched the tubes. The air shimmered for a moment then the claws loosened as a blazing white ray burst knocked cloaked man away. His face skidding across the sands.

*****
Jennifer saw her daughter pivot as the discharge hurled the man away. Her heart nearly skipped a beat when Eliza pulled her to her chest and signaled to Lorain. Doc’s face was a mask. Professional. The boardwalk splintered with every step Eliza took. Once they were out of sight of the battle and any onlookers, she grabbed Lorain as well and launched skyward, all the while Jennifer could feel each beat of her daughter’s heart. Rather than the smooth metronome calm it normally clocked in with, right now it was firing off like a mortar shell. Erratic and panicked. Lorain beat her hands frantically on Eliza’s shoulder. They were heading straight for a cliffside buff. Eliza put on a burst of speed. The world turned dark. A subtle hiss of a hatchway enclosed all of them.
“Authorization Confirmed. Welcome back to the Jupiter Rising Captain Murphy.”
Eliza’s voice was low and controlled but her eyes were locked on Jennifer’s midsection.
“Prep medbay. Make sure mom doesn’t leave the ship.”
The AI’s voice came back, “Understood.”
J’ino finally noticed the splash of blood under Eliza’s nose. Typherian or not, she found herself clinging to her daughter. Now the mad dash made much more sense. Dread caused her temples to pound. As they hurried their way to the medbay, her legs numbed, so Eliza picked her up once more. Lorain’s power surged through J’ino, after a moment, “It's ok, it’s the adrenaline.” J’ino wrapped her arms around Eliza’s neck. “Mama’s sorry space cadet. We just wanted to surprise you.” She gave a choppy nod in response.
“Won’t let them hurt you. The baby’s heartbeat is ok but I want Jupiter and Doc to clear you.” Mr. Apple tapped the deck with his walking cane. Its silver ball grip reflecting the light to every corner of the vessel.
You 3 stay. I will help Light-Bearer and the rest.
He faded through the passageway.
Doc was stunned, “Did you just see….”
*****
I tugged Lorain along. Floating the rest of the way to the Medbay, “If you saw him that means he wanted you to see. Long story, I'll explain later.” Mom finally let down whatever kind of emotional shielding she had. A volatile mix stirred within her. Pride, happiness, guilt, and relief. I set her down gently into the med pod. Horus pinged me with a status update. Not only had Arthon showed up, but he also came with bells on, taking a metaphysical two by four to Snake Charmer. I tapped into the battle feed as Lorain was prepping the pod.
*****
Arthon was just about to head out to do some recon of the various Muthra sites when he got an alert from At’lan, indicating that one of the Cabal was along the Boardwalk. He donned his suit and strode out, using the leyline to carry him swiftly to battle. As he emerged from the portal, behind a popcorn stand no less, he saw a dark garbed man with Eliza in some sort of grapple. He could hear the crunch of the man’s nose even from this distance. The strange metallic claws reared back, like a multi-headed hydra, going for a decapitation maneuver. Arthon muttered the phrases that would activate the symbology implanted within him. Blazing white light arched outwards, hitting the would-be assassin in the side. Sending him skidding along the bright beach sands.
Behind him, the Emerald K-9 appeared, bathed in protective verdant energies. Barking furiously at the enemy. <<I CHASE! PROTECT!>> He latched onto the assailant's right leg. Tugging him away from civilians. A gold and black blur catapulted in, hitting all sides simultaneously, knocking the man off balance. Light-Bearer took the opportunity to land a particularly devastating blow to the man’s weapon, it partially melted from the onslaught. Horus chipped in over the team feed, “Void Walker weapons.” The dark-haired muthra sensed a tremor forming underneath and dived out of the way just in time as four golden snakes burst from the sands. The symbology etched on their hides was corrupted.
Thoth’s handiwork.
One of their golden heads reared back to strike the Muthra when an avalanche of seaweed entangled itself about the snake and hurled it 100s of feet into the air. A familiar laugh echoed around him, ringing feminine tones, “Never fear! The Mavericks are here! Hey Light! Go shine on that Snake Charmer will you?” White Lily’s seaweed whips cracked around him, keeping the other snakes at bay as he charged at his main foe. “Traitor! YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED!”
The former Atlantian bowed mockingly.
“Well, then a young sword! Let’s see how well you cut!”
Light-bearer summoned the four sigils: Life, Breath, Blood, and Bone.
His voice carried over the din of battle. “Bind him to the earth!”
Snake Charmer’s arms were engulfed in yellow sigils. Each one pulsating with the Markav symbols of old. He bared his teeth at the Muthra, “The Everlasting will rise!” One of the golden serpents snagged the tube from Charmer’s belt. Diving into the sand below, a sickly miasma rising from its passage. A deep thrum resounded above the battlefield. Horus swooped in, reinforcing the binding sigils, “Authorization received. Commencing with Directive Echo.” Various ports materialized on his shell, firing darts into the Cabal assassin.
As the tranquilizers took hold, Light-Bearer could see the callous grin plastered on the Charmer’s face as he pulled back his cloth covering. “Be seeing you Muthra!” He made a mock salute as the  Mavericks prepped him for incarceration at an offsite location. Known as Stoneward Correctional Center. It was specially made to house demi criminals. Even he didn’t know its true location. It wasn’t manned by normal guards either. Many of them were demis, of all types, who constantly shifted guard duty to throw off the prison population. Golden Bulleteer zipped over. Shook Arthon’s hand, “Good work Light. Star will meet up with you later. We have Amazing Grace looking over that statue. Trying to figure out what Snake Charmer was looking for.”
Arthon checked the messages stored up since the battle. One of them was a coded missive from Ambassador J’ino. As he opened it, Mr. Apple materialized next to him, placing a palm on the Atlantian’s forehead. Planting a compulsion within him. The pieces were nearly in place now.
There was never a Markav cache here. Thoth hid his talisman elsewhere.
You must take the Star to Atlantis. Have her place the item within the control deck.
“Lady Sul’Sandra will protest.”
His eyes remained unfocused as the Scholar pushed further.
Not necessarily. The Ur Stone will provide the bridge we need.

Med-bay
Jupiter Rising (Cloaked)
July 20th, 2095

I triple checked the medical readings. Granted, I wasn’t an expert but what I saw gave me a measure of comfort. From what Jupiter could tell me, the baby was around two months shy of development. I struck a pose, hands on my hips because that usually got most people to smile.  “Mother, besides the obvious, what made you guys think of having more kids?” For her part, she tilted her head to one side, lost in thought. Doc rested a hand over mom, energy flowing back and forth, as she made more notes into the ship’s medical database. Moments ticked by then finally, “Because we wanted more. No grand plan beyond that.” I kicked up my feet and took a sitting position near the pod, enjoying the simple sensation of floating. I schooled my face into attentiveness.
Mom punched me on the arm rather playfully.
“Going full cosmic there space cadet?”
“Well, now that you mention it. Any more babies in there?” I focused inward, fiding no other heartbeats than expected. Doc wagged a finger at me. “Eliza! Have some manners.”
Doc sounded scandalized but I could tell that was for show. They both found my enthusiasm quite entertaining.
 “Awww. I say you and dad could go for triplets!” Mom rolled her eyes. But the flare of emotion spiked when I mentioned more. Turned out mom wanted a big army of Murphys. She sent a jolt into the ivory ring. It was mostly maternal exasperation. I sent a picture of Gran gran and Pop-pop back. “Oh man, if you guys go for the gold, grandma won’t have enough room on that wall!” Mom made a show of annoyance but under it all, I got the sense that she’d be perfectly happy ordering us all about. I got the feeling she was used to doing that.
I was going to be a big sister. More than once I’d wager. “Hey doc, considering this development, priotize mom over my spinal treatments. Want to make sure both are well secured.” To my shock, she nodded. “Way ahead of you there cornfed. In fact, any siblings you get could assist me with my research into your predicament anyway.” The calming delicate tones of Jupiter interjected with, <<Captain, First Officer Arthon requesting Leyline link to our location? Shall I grant it?>> I nodded, “Go for it Jupiter. Besides I am 1000% sure Doc has this situation under control.”
Doc fired at me, double guns, “All the way cornfed.”
“I’ll go bring in the cat.” Doc snorted.
She was used to all my cornball references. I would teach my brothers and sisters well. Mom narrowed her eyes at me like hawk eyeballing a particular juicy fish. “Eliza Elizabeth Murphy you will do no such thing. No space case stuff til high school!”
“Yes, momma.” She shooed me out of the medbay.
I whistled a merry tune as I entered the receiving chamber. Like in those old Captain Cosmos vids, this room could teleport people. Jupiter said I had to be very hush-hush about it so I decided to file it away for more Left Vs Right-hand shenanigans. At this point, why stress when you can just help save the day? Even with classified tech. Arthon appeared in a small shimmer of light, still in his Light-Bearer uniform. With Mr. Apple alongside. That’s when the world went 10000 feet under the sea. It triggered a familiar ghost within me.
The Ur Stone’s symbology filled my vision.
At times like this, I felt like that one character from the holovids: The Mindscape. He often had segments of blackout as well.
*****
            Arthon watched in amazement as the dapper dressed man with a dark fedora waved his walking stick over Eliza. Her Banner uniform overtaking her civilian dress. You will see this, along with your Lady, but others will see another Muthra.
            His mind's voice was ancient. Arthon could feel the annuls of history weighing down upon his barriers. “What are you?” The man winked.
            An answer for another time. Quickly now. I can only maintain this connection for so long.
He tapped his cane. Jupiter’s displays interlocked with At’lan’s. Both ships sending out codes faster than his eye could follow. In a flash, they were all gone, rematerializing in the main Docking ring of the terraformer.

Atlantis                                                                                                   
Main Docking Ring
July 20th,2095

The Lady walked right up to Arthon, the anger plain on her human form, “You brought her here uncloaked and unfettered?!” The Star-Spangled Banner eyed the Atlantian Matriarch with a knowing expression. “Admiral Starstuff, for the next 20 mins, I am hardly a breach to anything.” Sul’Sandra gawked for a moment. Clearly taken aback by how assertive and blunt Eliza was behaving. Star waved toward the lift. Once all were inside she ordered it in Markav to head to the main control deck. Arthon hid a grin. He had to admit, even without knowing what time frame this Eliza was from, she got to the point rather quickly. Her eyes were filled with the fires of the cosmos. But his readings of her form indicated something older taking up residence within her mind.
It felt familiar. He would have scanned her on a more fundamental level but a gentle tap on his crown from the dapper man prevented him from a closer examination.
 She smiled, one filled with that same carefree grace she usually had. This time it had something more. “I know that look ma’am. Sufficed to say, certain parties are planting seeds that will help us later. Besides thanks to them, I just look like a normal member of your lovely lifeboat here.” The Lady squinted, “Were you always this sassy?” Star’s lips twitched. “Not sassy per se, I only have a limited time to hide this thing. So I am just cutting to the chase. Let’s just say when a certain dethroned maniac tries his poker hand, its going to go south. It's imperative that we hide our deck of cards.”
Once at the main command deck, Star flashed around, typing in commands and adding more security measures. Like this place was second nature to her. Arthon couldn’t keep his smile down. “So eventually something will give with those rules of Council and Uplift.”
Murphy nodded, “In time. We just have to stack the deck so when the big party starts, we will have more in our arsenal than the enemy suspects.” Sul’Sandra called out, “What’s with the starstuff remark?” The Banner winked. “All in due time Admiral, in this case, I am following temporal protocol.” She placed a tube within a compartment. Sealing it with symbols even the Lady couldn’t decipher.
“See you later At’lan.” She gave one of the displays a good-natured pat. “Be sure to record everything so you and Horus have lots to talk about.” In a blink, Eliza was gone. In her place was one shining red apple. Sul’Sandra picked it up. It shimmered for a moment then faded. Leaving behind the scent of Honeycrisp and orchards.
Arthon wondered, “Is this what it feels like to be you on a daily basis?” The Lady cackled. It had been a while since anyone had been so bold. “Child, at this point, I play up the senile aspect a bit too hard but it's good to know that you are developing a keen eye for the surreal. As the humans say, run with it.”

Teleportation Room
Jupiter Rising (Cloaked)
July 20th, 2095

           Someone was patting my cheek. It became more urgent until I could feel a slight tremor, “CORNFED!”  I cracked an eye open. Lorain hauled me to my feet. “What happened?” I popped my neck. She winced at that. “What? It’s a habit.” Mr. Apple whispered in my ear.
            I had to sail the white sea.
            I repeated the phrase to Lanis. Her eyes narrowed with anger. “I see. Well never mind that. Let’s go get something to eat. Before we were interrupted your mother and I wanted to take you out somewhere nice. To celebrate!” I grinned down at her. “Let’s go! Feels like we hardly have time to do normal things. With the uptick of Cabal activity. Did you see those latest reports about….”

Muthra Sector
Atlantis
July 28th, 2095

Nuul, High Muthra of Markav Hegemony, gazed out at the vast holdings within At’lan. The curvature of the ship showcased expert engineering. Farmland, tech bases, living quarters. Cities within cities. All cloaking a hidden legacy from the stars. Shepherds for what most considered a dead precursor race. Arthon sat cross-legged in front of the view-screen. Looking at various security reports. Environmental updates, then finally the embryo archives. “Father, will we ever find out who the leak is?”
“One day but like anything else, what would you do once you found it, my son?”
Arthon pondered this. “If they aren’t doing it on their own but through some evil compulsion, perhaps they can be saved if, like Agent Hilary Brookes, they are a known collaborator, I say they must be dealt with swiftly.”
Nuul glanced at his son, “Indeed. This chessboard all leads to one path: Convergence.” The weight behind that word caused Arthon to look up at his father sharply. The elder continued, “Be ready. A sword also maintains its hilt. Because a shield cannot cover everything.” 

Stoneward Correctional Center
Location Unknown
Date Redacted

Snake Charmer laughed behind the mouth bindings. The two security guards took one look at him and their blood ran cold. They had him pinned to the grav wall. He was only allowed to move during certain rest breaks. Each night every prisoner was put into a sedative pod, to ensure that their powers were muted and contained. Every pod was equipped with medicines that inhibited magical abilities as well. Prisoner 25A, otherwise known as the Snake Charmer, considered this a vacation. Yes, it was rather dull at times but the payoff would be an exquisite dance of death that would cover this whole measly planet and the Uplifted territories as well. Those fools at Area 51 had no idea what was coming. He was merely an agent of Unity. Even if he didn’t truly believe in it, those bald grey corpses with dead eyes made the journey worth it. The only care he had was for his sister.
Let the rest burn. 

Issue 18: Here
Issue 20: Here

2 comments:

  1. Be careful with classified tech. Sometimes what you don't know can hurt you. Interesting that Horus could reinforce magical sigils. Can AI perform magic or is there something about Markav symbology that is closer to the tech side of things?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like....Arcane Council things. Horus isn't directly in the hierarchy for it but...well via book 6, people will know retroactively who's been likely giving Horus lessons.

      Meta wise? The Arcane Order is at the heart of Uplift Protocol's ending as much as Eliza's is.

      Delete