Sunday, July 5, 2020

Insights: Learn by Doing

I'm glad he covers books like this. My first draft of Uplift Protocol had these issues:


Since starting:I've learned more how to balance exposition and character conversations. How to move the plot while giving some character moments. There's always room for growth! I cant wait to see where I will be at one year from now.

I mostly tell rather than show. But will add a sprinkling of show when I feel the moment is important. Its also why I decided to have Eliza as First Person POV and everyone else a omnipresent 3rd person. To make the narrative change in tempo and it gives me more creative control to make sure things don't ramble.

For me, as a reader:

  • Snappy/quick character intros. 
  • Don't need a very detailed description of stuff. A few lines will do
  • First Person: That form lets me do some showing in a way I can connect to better. 
  • 3rd person: Lets me put in corny lines I loves. Plus a way for me to keep the overall "show" side to Eliza mostly. With the other characters filtered via 3rd.
Another book, based on sample, that helped me understand the difference between first draft and just go with it and post it final.

These really are first drafts. The bear bones of a story. No icing or frills added.  Now back to outlining and continuing Issue 20. Keeping my mind busy is a help in these times.

No comments:

Post a Comment