Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Is Slice of Life Mundane really that popular?

Or do some want us to believe this? That 1000s upon 1000s enjoy talking heads around a table.

There is a significant review drop off. Like ballot stuffing was this a flash in a pan or something that is getting its publisher actual money.

The 4th book for this boring adventure feels like its that scene from Spaceballs but not fun or amusing and padded out over a whole book.




Ill look into this later but I don't see much difference between TOR, Macmillian, Harpercollins, Peguin, Simon and Schulster. IE: Overall Content. They all blend into a Mundane Manifesto bore fest.

DAW still gives me some interesting stories. 

What caused me to think on this?

Declan Finn's Post

Sheer numbers drive that amazon bot. TO find books, to promote them, to have them rise to the surface.


I've left reviews of books I am only part way through:


That book 1 is over 1000 pages btw. :P


So while trad publishing might hate amazon's platform, it needs it too, along with up and coming indies. When leaving reviews Ill be pretty up front about biases, preferences, did I abandon the book part way through. Even DNF reviews have merit. What one person hates with the fury of 1000 suns might be what another is looking for.

Maybe that means Boring Planet series caters to the lonely? Because it looks like it really struck a cord with certain sectors.

2016 really was a year of awakenings for me.


Plus I'm not even reading the Expanse anymore. It got too "current year" human vs human dystopia issues for me.

Back in 2014 or so, I started reading whatever same sex couple stuff I could find. Mostly to show the internet fervor at the time a right wing person like myself could read stuff no matter the content. I realized that most with same sex characters went the misery route. What about the Campy Xena route? Something that could bring a smile. It happened with indies in most cases.



That series is Megamind with a same sex couple. But what if Megamind was dating a Supergirl standin instead. This thing is corny as hell. Which suits me just fine. Stop hitting people over the head with misery fiction. I imagine, if they really dug deep down, they don't want misery or mundane fiction either. But like that Babyon Bee Inforgraphic, they have to fight against "old school" fun/absurdity.



https://twitter.com/DeclanFinnBooks/status/1295735823636279296?s=20
https://twitter.com/DeclanFinnBooks/status/1295735823636279296?s=20

No comments:

Post a Comment