Friday, August 7, 2020

This Reader and E-book Prices



Since this was brought up on twitter. Go try his game demo, pretty interesting space opera setting so far: Here




With indie pub: The ebook price, with cutting out editors, paper cost and promo staff, that's why most readers expect the price to be lower, usually in the 2.99 to 5.99 range. Because of this I am usually more forgiving in Indie stuff.

  • Typos
  • Editing
  • Ebook Formatting
Cause I realize not all indie creators can afford some of those additions from independent sources. Some indies are doing it for fun and as a hobby, like me. Will I put it up later when done? Yes. Will I go about learning how to format stuff better into mobi? Yes. Because I want to put my best shot forward. Even now, as I re-read Uplift, I find typos, so I go back and edit. I am mainly going back to keep plot threads noted but you get the idea.

Which is why I think the most prolific indies try to put out big outreach levels. 10+ book series. Multi series. Team Ups. They want to keep the output high so that they can turn a fairly quick profit per month. I can see why trad pub keeps their ebook prices up. They want you to get the paper or hardback.   

Also Trad Pub has:

  • Editors to Pay
  • Promo to Pay Out
  • Printing the Books
Baen and some others have figured out that their hard core fans want E-Arcs and will pay for them. Galaxy's Edge has its Insider Corp. Here

So you have to work with expectations. Personally I'd rather sell 100 copies of Uplift Protocol S1 at 2.99 than 10 copies at 9.99. SO that way the book gets into more hands and eyeballs besides the blog when the time comes.

Many pulp rev guys have their own methods for balancing pay and output: 



No comments:

Post a Comment