Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Mars Issue 30

 

Issue 30: Bardax, Last Best Hope

 

            Minds-The-Trees, our Sector Leader, is trapped. We have called in as many Defenders as possible. Guards-The-Stars is bringing in his team. The White and Black are with him. I hope we can find Minds in time. The barrier is slowly eating away are her reserves.—Green Defender Alert

            We had lost our last Litter. My mate buried many things under the shield of duty, honor, and Bardaxian stubbornness.—Sparta aka Howls-At-The Moons

            We wouldn’t find Sister Nyx’s payload that she had snuck in during the Artock assault on the Sol System until later. Mostly because those “presents” were inside the metal that was soaked with impressions akin to what the Ur-Stone used to block it from people’s memories or perceptions. It's why Aether was so agitated by the Keepers' machinations. They used everything that the J’kua ever created against them. The only reason why Chronos didn’t catch wind of the Ur-Stone is that it used me as a cover. Along with the memory locking.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 22nd century

Bardaxian Sector

Green Defender Training Facility

Planet Nufa

 

            The roar of the engines echoed as we landed near an odd construct. The energy hissed and crackled as we approached. Various Bardaxians milled about. Worried. Their ears twitching as we reached the perimeter.

            Most of the Golden Redeemers were here.

            Puzzler pointed, “Would you look at that. What do you make of it Dawnbreaker?”

            Dexter responded, “It is a mix of Death. The Weave crying out. Whoever is trapped doesn’t have much time.” The barrier was ice cold to the touch. Lancing up my arm with a spike of reflexive despair. I glared at it. “Nyx. I know it's part of her.”

            Dexter and Puzzler circled the misty gray barrier. Probably looking for a weak point.

            My brother’s mind touched mine, >>We will have to go through together. Eddie can see where the sphere barrier cracked with the entry of a Green Defender.<<

            >>It let the defender in.<<

            My reply made Dexter curse.

            My feeling of disquiet grew as we pushed through. The landscape on the other side was a mockery of normality. Nothing moved. Not even the wind. The trees were still. Their red leaves and white wooden surface were frozen. Alarmed howling beat upon my eardrums.

            <<My children! GIVE THEM BACK!>>

            We raced to the clearing.

A stark white furred dire wolf was digging frantically. Her eyes were wide and glassy. I dashed in, pulling her aside as a dark green vine snaked out. Thrashing wildly at the place she had been digging. Bulbous purple thorns shot outward. Dexter formed an energy barrier. Black stated coldly, <<Mindstealer.>>

            Doc clung to me. Not out of fear but uncanny perception. She pointed at the trees in the northern corner, “It's coming through the root network.” So that meant it was biological or had a nervous system of sorts. The air grew heavy as we fled eastward. Keeper speech lingered. Its caustic ripples causing me to stop short. Before us was a simple building.

            A Bardaxian sized main hall. With a training area. Five dormitories were situated on each side of the primary receiving area. A starport jutted from the mountainside due south.  The barrier extended another 3 miles beyond that. I nearly jumped out of my skin when Lorain touched the nape of my neck. Her eyes narrowed.

            “It's below the training facility. It has control of everything within the sphere.”

            She elaborated, “It has a nervous system. It burrowed into everything living. I can keep it from taking over our bodies but not much more than that.” She handed us her special pills. “In case you need a rejuvenation boost.” I didn’t know Lorain had telepathic abilities. Her hand tightened around my neck. She leaned in, “I don’t but I can guess at what you are thinking nowadays.” Through our Typherian bond. I concentrated. My eyes locking onto the central building as we crossed the thresh hold.

            Mrs. Sparta was exhausted. I gave her one of the pills. Her head burrowed into my shoulder. <<Where…my children….where….>>

            Sparta trotted over to nudge her.

            His jade green eyes tracking everything.

            <<Smells wrong.>>

            The sent of decay hit me. But not just any kind of decay. My brother felt it too.

            This thing would do its best to prevent us from leaving.

            A hint of motion brought the Puzzer to a firing position. Bardaxian puppies made from the same silvery treebark shambled towards us.

            “Feed us, mother….”

            The voices weren’t through collars.

            My brother opened his mouth. Flames engulfed the room as he erected a barrier.

            “MOVE!” My voice snapped everyone out of their daze.

            Nyx always used children.

I held onto the Bardaxian in my arms. Not allowing her to jump. Her cries echoed as we went deeper into the complex. Sparta blasted more of those soulless mockeries apart with his Omega Defender beams. As we entered the grav shaft, the elevator opened with a cheery tune, inside was more Keeper language etchings.

“Sing the Lullaby. Find that which is lost. Return to the Mother.”

            I translated it to English standard. Even though, disturbingly, I could speak the words in the native tongue. That worried me even more than normal. I  always thought it was because of White but some part of my brain gibbered in the background.

Quick quick Alice, down you go! Tumbling to Wonderland!

White did not comment.

Doc, however, “When we get out of here. I'll show you the record.”

Dexter hissed, “I forbid it!”

Doc responded, “Try me. She has to know.”

I broke up the fight with, “Let’s just find this Lullaby. It might deactivate this thing. Nyx is sick like that.”

My brother’s eyes burned with indignation but he nodded. Jerking his arm forward. “I'll go first.” Eddie winced and followed. Everyone knew all sorts of things before I did. It would seem. Eddie passed a quick message along.

//I swear Nora’s divination from her mirror informed me. But it won't be pleasant. The record I mean. If you need me after, I'll take us out for drinks.//

            I shoved the speculation to the rearmost corners of my mind.   

I murmured, “How about I call you Valkyrie.” The sleeping Bardaxian Dire Wolf in my arms had no answer. Sparta remarked, <<I approve but it will need her consent.>>

            The corridors echoed with our footfalls.

            The cries of the animated puppies getting closer.

*****

            Nyx had what she needed. The doctor’s abilities had matured.

One last experiment remained.

She attached the data marker to her child’s main root. It had served its purpose.

It wouldn’t hurt to get some additional battle data though.

*****                     



            Lorain placed Valkyrie on the examination table. Activating its defenses. The shield came up and cut the Bardaxian female off from the draining influence of the corrupted vines seeping through the building. Their black twisted forms growing in number as we reached the basement level. A blip of emotion on my radar was my only warning as massive black tentacles shot out of the dark and wrapped around my arms, legs, and waist. Sparta leapt at the hated foe. His muzzle pulled back in a vicious rumbling snarl that echoed throughout basement area. The lights were harsh. Hiding no aspect of this fiend.

            “This one cannot feed us.” It threw me to the side. I braced myself, using the wall to propel back into the fray. My dark matter beams cutting through the numerous vegetation out to kill us. The Puzzler and Dawnbreaker used their flames to keep it at bay. Dawnbreaker even tapping into cosmic bursts from his hands. Along with his flame breath. Doc was sitting cross-legged next to the examination table. Her brow furrowed in concentration. I tackled the main bulk of this multi-pronged beast. At the heart of it was a pulsating octopus-looking monstrosity. Its feelers reaching out, “No no no! We cannot feed!”

            Its single crimson eye bulged.

            I squeezed my eyes shut as I plunged my left hand and arm into the maw of it.

            It squealed and flailed about.

            A wet crunch followed by a sweet sickly pollen scent made me gag. 

            Under the blaring white illumination I could see the muscle and bone. It's slimy skin was covered in remnants of the forest life it fed from. 

            Extreme heat rippled. The dragon tattoo roared.

            The monster let out a death rattle.

            Its fleshed consumed by the dragon snapping at my fingertips.

*****

            The air grew bitter as the Bardaxians watched the barrier shrivel.

            Their barks of alarm echoing across the communications lines.

            This place would need time to heal. They scrambled to the secondary fallback point as the barrier rippled one final death rattle and exploded outward. Blanketing the area in fine ash.

*****

            Minds-The-Trees awoke to her mate standing guard over her.

            She could no longer hear the cries of the children.

            Her warm golden eyes locked onto me.

            <<I see you, Protector. I will offer my service.>>

            She tried to stand up but her legs wouldn’t support her so I scooped her up.

            “Let’s get you somewhere more comfortable. The farther away the better.”

The Jupiter Rising

Command Room

July 8th, 2104

 

            The only ones present were myself, mom, dad, Lorain, Dexter, and Grandma Ayeer.

            My parents met my gaze. Sadness reflected there.

            “So, what’s this about a recording then?”

            Dexter sat heavily into one of the side chairs situated on the balcony above the captain’s chair. “Once she knows this….”

            Everything grayed out. No one was frozen this time.

            Jupiter’s voice extended outward, <<Teeemmmporrralllll Anooommmollliiiiii…..>>

            Another J’kua materialized into the room. Its face was thinner than Aether’s.

            “I will not share my name. That isn’t important. What you fight for will be Eliza Murphy.”

            Stars whirled around us. We were on the bridge of a Javelin. Mom gasped.

            It was Zachary. But he was older. Much older. Complete with the beard he always desired. A different uniform on his frame. We were gray while the world around us was in bright color. He turned towards what I assumed was his navigator.

            “Lt. Rodgers. Arc Way 24008. The Gates of Creation.”

            All personnel stared.

            “Did I stutter! Helmsman! Bring us about.”

            The ship jumped.

On the screen was a golden wall of light. The Ouroborous sang its full glory.

He exited the bridge, one of the Typherians muttering, “I thought we were forbidden…”

A human snapped, “Quiet! Just…I’ll tell you later.”

We followed Zach because the J’kua did.

He attached a belt around his waist. It was metallic but very malleable. A faint outline encased him. He stepped out of the airlock. We followed.

*****

            Thomas and the others listened.  Their Eliza’s face was frozen with wonder.

            Zachary opened with, “The Cosmic Council requests your presence.”

            Eliza turned. Her clothing similar to what she wore now. Except the jacket was Silver. The pants were black. Black boots with a blue service shirt underneath. She also had a different kind of sash at her waist. It was silver. With blue symbols along the outer edges.

            She paced along the golden scales of the Ouro, watching something only she could see beyond their bright aura. Zach never asked what it was. He didn’t want to know. A little girl giggled and they both turned toward the noise.

            She skipped. Wearing a simple white dress. Barefoot. Her pale blue feathered wings a contrast to her vivid blonde hair. Placid brown eyes took everything in. “Mama says you should make an appearance. It’s only proper!”

*****

            White roared within me, <<YOU LIVE! YOU CAME BACK!>>

            I stared at this other version of myself. We all took a step back when she turned, speaking directly at me, “I wondered when this part would occur. You are stronger than you know. You protected your brother from the Sister. The dragon shall devour itself.”

            She pointed at the girl, “Remember: The Sister is Evil. You are not. Remember that when you see the events that will determine the fate of all.”

            She eyed everyone else, “Tell Grandfather that the Wall will Endure. Have Trouble harvest the data.” Grandma Ayeer laughed.

            “Oh my. I will relay that.”

            She made some sort of gesture at mother and father.

            Mom tried to embrace her but hit nothing but air.

            With a small motion, we found ourselves back on the command deck of the Jupiter Rising, no J’kua to be found. Lorain's eyes locked onto my face. I knew that expression all too well.

*****

            Captain Zachary Murphy the 2nd stared at his aunt.

“What was that all about? Those shimmers you look at.”

            She held out a hand to the child. The little girl laughed. The sound soothing the confusion in Zachary’s eyes. He muttered, “Dad’s right, we never get a straight answer out of you anymore.” Lorain floated over. The glimmering power of the Yellow Defender fading as she landed.

            She responded, “If you only knew how ironic that observation was.”

 

Interlude: Moments Between Tick and Tock

 

            Sir, we have a problem. Inform the Archivist. We must contain this temporal sidenote.-Indexing Entry Origin Point.

            How does one fathom the river of time? For the Weave, it is an ocean. For us? It moves along a line. Even now, at the very last stage of my long life, I have yet to crack the surface of the Weave. It remains unknowable. Yet ever-present.—The Archivist

            Where to start? The beginning? That would take a while. They want me to make a sensory memoir, as they call it in this century.—Sleeping in Starlight, opening informational quote, please click here if you wish to download this archive.

Earth

Central Temporal Tower (CTT)

July 24th, 4126

           


            Mathias Odessen raced towards Central. His deep blue eyes locked on the landscape before him. The gleaming cityscape rippling silver within the warmth of Sol. The time had arrived. He pushed past the crowd. Springing into the air. Gliding faster. His anti-grav board humming as he angled upward. Above the cloudline. He linked to the tower’s hub. >>The Convergence ripple is nearly here. Activate containment. Have all Code X level staff on standby!<<

*****

            Two holograms manifested. I had been in this oval white chamber for about 20 mins. Give or take. My phantom left arm twitched. I rubbed the stump. Images still fresh in my mind. I bit my lip. Forcing my heart to slow down. The letters had mentioned this part. I would be back in time. To stop him. The last remnants of Unity.

            That cosmic nightmare would not have the last say in any matters. Flashes of blue light curled around my remaining hand. I was still clothed in the burial shirt and pants of the Ayeer clan. A simple white dress shirt. Black pants. My feet uncovered. Events clicked into place. They wanted a record of what happened during my lifetime. About the Keepers.  The J’kua’s role. How the Ur-Stone and Weave worked together to skip across time and space to guide me to the final veil beyond Death.

            I knew the man standing next to the nervous Odessen.

            They called him the Archivist but I had always known him.

            “Nice to see you, Curator.”

            He smiled. “And you Bearer. Guardian of the Gates. To the Realm Unending. Let us begin.” He waved me to a chair as it raised from the ground. Forming from the materials around it. As I sat a jolt traveled up my spine. Soothing me of the tremendous ache. Not just physically but mentally as well. I had wandered far. My soul stretched to the limit.

            The pieces of my mind fell into place. All the things ever hidden from me were brought to the forefront. Beyond the memory flashes. The coded temporal anomalies. A velvety feminine voice asked, “Do you wish for a refreshment. It is the least we can do for you.”

            A small table formed. A very tall elegant U-shaped glass materialized.

            I nodded. Tasting the cool refreshing tartness of orange juice. I didn’t even have to ask. It just appeared before my outstretched hand. The Curator said, “When you leave here you must not speak of the 42nd century. Not openly. You will know who you can confide in once you return.” The young bronze-haired Odessen sputtered, “But doesn’t that break temporal codes…..”

            Curator nodded, “Yes but Eliza, with all her memory intact, knows the importance of silence.”

            I grimaced. Forcing a laugh, “Indeed. I see why the J’kua did what they had to with my mind. It was a vital barrier against Unity. To keep hope alive. You will send me back to finish my task.”

            It was not a request.

Odessen looked scandalized but acquiesced to Curator’s authority.

            “By my blood and bone, you will return to finish the last of the Calamity.”

            He elaborated after a quick harder glance at Odessen.

I could tell he was of Y’lansa’s clan because of the colors on his sash.

“Balancing the scales. We asked much of her. Her mother and father. Along with the rest of Creation. Mathias!”

The young man snapped to attention. Even as a hologram.

“Go get Mr. Mayweather.”

It was a code name. But I had a hunch it was the letterman. The one I had first met during my Avalon episode. The one who pushed me just so. Or rather, I thought with a grin, how I pushed myself. My mirth faded as I dwelled on that arduous climb. The smoking crags and biting stone digging into my fingers as I clung to the Cliffside. Unity’s warped form reaching out to pull me into that final abyss.

I hissed as the Curator reached out and rested a hand on the stump of my left shoulder.

“Dwell not on the present. Flow towards the past. Link the bridge together. You know what we fought for.”

He motioned and a 360 panoramic view hit my senses as the walls changed. Earth arrayed before me. That pale blue dot bursting with life. Out of reflex, I reached towards my waist but White wasn’t there. She had been freed from her lonely vigil. A large white paw formed and swatted me playfully.

“He did promise. Promise that you’d return. Whole.” I saw her standing there. Her 3 golden eyes wide. Tears flowing from each of them. I twitched, gasping with surprise as fire erupted down my phantom arm. Sparks of blue form into a hand. Muscle, everything. My empty sleeve filled. A silver spear with blue markings gripped within my left palm. A white glove over it.

I was no longer the White Defender.

A rather animated silver sash closed in around my waist.

White headbutted me as I wrapped my right arm around her massive frame.

“No, you no longer host me but now I can return with you. To fulfill my purpose once more.” Her voice clogged with so many emotions that I had trouble filtering them.

Curator interjected, “After you banished the main bulk of Unity, White became unstuck in time, landing upon our shores. We have watched over her. Waiting for you.” I sat slowly within the chair. My mind adrift. White’s eyes following my every move. Like I’d disappear.

I swallow the lump in my throat and began, “How to begin? Time doesn’t always flow where….”

Issue 29: Here

Book 4:  Here

No comments:

Post a Comment