Thursday, July 29, 2021

The Dexter Chronicles: Ouroborous

Dexter Chronicles: The Ouroborous

 

            It took White many years to manifest. She had been injured by Set’s cowardly attack within the old world. Rykah: Our Greatest Failure. Mine especially. I should have sensed it. The corruption of the Soul Cycle. –Black

            In my early years, the only thing that kept me afloat was sharing my sister's memories as she slept. Updating me on what was happening. Which was mostly normal for a child. Yet I remembered all her locked and shrouded memories as well. So I knew what others had to bury within her. All of those years. The vigil remains.—Dexter Murphy

            We watched it. These trials and tribulations of my brother. His commentary gave voice to my parent’s grief over certain events. Yet Gwen, Tobin, and Jace added another layer. One that none of us expected. The Weave works in mysterious ways.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 23rd century (vol 2)

The Inbetween

Black’s Domain

November 2nd, 2082

 

            Dexter noticed the souls. They had traveled a long way. From a mirror universe. One still developing. Typherians from the looks of them. Decked out in archaic robes. They passed by: ethereal lights in the gloom. The only time there was anything concrete here was when Eliza slept. Along with the guardian chains. The mighty Ourobourous flowing overhead. It reminded Dexter of a metallic silver dragon. Constantly looping around itself. Each scale holding another connection. Another universe of possibilities.

            Its appearance changed based on who was looking at it. Litari saw bright lights. Even to a race wrapped in eternal night, they could see the cold fire of that mighty coil. Humans would see a giant Wall. Endless epochs impressed upon it. His sister would often remark, “I think it eats its tail to protect people!”

            She was right. It was how he perceived the endless cycle of death and rebirth. Some souls migrated together. Like his parents. Always resurfacing in other times or places. Sharing a subconscious bond. Eliza usually took things at face value. He beheld the cogs underneath. He had to. For Black’s responsibility was paramount. Many never realized just how vital he had been to the process of reincarnation. The Markav also beheld a Wall. Interlaced with the bedrock of souls. His soul. His sisters. From countless universes. It was always them. The Weave had made them a permanent fixture. No matter the landscape.

            The woman in Silver greeted him. Her face was obscured by the Weave’s command of this place. It rose above Black’s Authority. She pointed. Mist curled around his bare feet. His sister had pulled some clothing through the mirror during her last visit. Black had only clothed him in a black one-piece suit. Now? He had a pair of tan pants. Gray t-shirt with a green rocket ship. A set of stairs formed. Each one glowing with blue radiance. As he ascended the stars whirled past. As he reached the top the Silver Lady remarked, “It won't remain this way. The world will know of you. And your sister soon enough.”

            Her voice was muffled by an auditory device he couldn’t work around. So to his young mind, that meant she knew him. Knew where this path would lead. The pain of his parents a lance through his heart. He wished Eliza would be able to say something but upon waking those memories of hers were locked. All because White had been so mortally wounded his sister’s powers were healing her. Her body was the coil. Changing to suit White. To bring her back from the Abyss.

It would take its toll on Eliza. It ways that would wound.

He didn’t know how to balance the scales. Not yet.

            The Silver Lady bowed her head, “You are correct. White will assume that she is changing her host. When the time comes, you both will be parted from Black and White. To claim the Throne.”

            He glimpsed his grandfather through the mist. V’alkor working tirelessly to maintain C’alain’s Wall and the matrix of the Multiverse until they grew enough to assist. Another burden. He could see the threads. The clouds parted and his sister stood next to him. The area taking on a cheery light. He wandered over to what she called a couch. He sat. Reveling in the feeling of the material. It even heated his aching back. Outside the well-lit windows, the Ourobouros hovered overhead. Reminding him of his place.

            He listened as Eliza set the record on the old player.

            “Grandma loves this thing!”

            The White Lily. Eleanore Murphy.

            He’d bring up the Ourobouros later. No need to tell her about the Soul Situation.

            Eden’s Ouro was overtaxed. Taking on the souls it could from other Universes.

            The Silver Lady rested a hand on his shoulder, “There is time. Rest.”

            His awareness shrank until all he could see was his sister and this room.

*****

            I blurted out before thinking, some memories filtering through beyond the Shroud blockers, “The Silver Lady. I know her.” Dexter nodded. “Indeed you do.” After hours we had retired to a side room.

Dad posed the question, “Who is she?”

            “The Weave made manifest.” My reply soft. Filled with wonder.

            White paced about. Her rounded ears twitching as she turned. That feline form a comfort. I realized this belatedly. She didn’t want to assume a humanoid shape. The attack by Set still fresh upon her body. I had beheld it once. Back when we traveled through the Ouro. A scar of twisted black ichor. Black and White curled around each other. Forming a ying yang symbol. Their tails intertwined.

            I slept.

Dreams coming fast.

The Curator crouched, his lips moving.

It was always you two. No matter the Universe.

The Inbetween

Black’s Domain

November 2nd, 2092

 

            I hugged my brother. “Guess what!”

            He smiled. It reached his eyes. He had a few days' growths on his chin. Wish I could tell dad. I imagine they would have endless things to talk about. “What’s up?”

            I jerked both thumbs at my chest, “I passed my testing phase for the Demi training program! The Star-Spangled Banner has her flight license as well!” Seeing his eyes, so much like Mom’s and my grandfather’s, gave me pause. Would I ever know what it felt like? He punched my shoulder lightly. It still knocked me back a solid foot. I stuck my tongue out. I knew what he was doing. The Ouro swarm overhead. Its scales clinking like church bells. I felt my body relax. The Three were back. Their white robes and coverings obscuring their faces.

            Like always.

            Their gaze bore into me. Not unpleasantly but with observable stillness. Like they were memorizing every line of my face. Every reaction. They knew me as well. The Weave was a warm wind within my body.

            Ties of blood and bone. Ties of Love and Fate. Ties of Faith and Spirit. These are the things that will save you.

            A man clothed with black robes materialized. His voice was rich.

Rumbling through my bones. “I am the reflection.”

The Void Man. Yet not filled with corruption. Another face of the Weave?

            The Silver Lady waved, a silver cup with running water splashed on the ground, “I have been called many things. I walk with names beyond counting. Yet all find their way to me if they believe.”



            A distant crack of thunder made Dexter glare. Beyond the silver light of Eden, curling into a mass of sludge, hisses, screams, and moans, was the corruption of Unity. My left arm tingled. A black dragon’s head lifted. Hissing in response. The Silver Lady rested her hand on its scaled head. “Hush now. Sleep.” It burrowed under my skin. Yet I felt no pain. Void raised his arm, “The Souls must be replensished. Cleanse the Arcways within your home Eden first.”

            He pointed. I saw it. Space beyond space. Red, angry, black splotches surrounding unfamiliar ships. Ours was the origin. The new origin. Black bowed his head, “I should have seen it sooner. Forgive me.” Void and Silver hugged his massive frame. He stood as tall as V’alkor. Black’s 3 golden eyes running with tears. He wasn’t alone. I hugged him too. Realizing it was White who was reaching out.

*****

            Dexter was no longer that angry frightened boy yet resentment remained towards Di’axi. There should have been another way. The Void rumbled, “There was no other way. We chose you to live within this place because you are stronger. Mentally and physically.  This is the realm of Protectors and Cleansing.”

            His fists clenched. Before he could speak the Silver Lady interjected, “Unity prizes women above all things because they create the very spark of life I bestowed upon a growing realm. Men protect that source.” Images flashed.

            Nyx. He spat at her befouled image.

            Remembering the bite of the needle. Its corruption flowing through his sister’s heart as he was ripped from proper reality.

            The Void handed him a Trident. Its pearly white contours warming to his touch. Black curled in on himself. Becoming a sash of obsidian and gold. Silver murmured, “You will be our Lance. Though your sister will have the Spear. She was made to protect Life. It is against her nature to lash out. Yet she will in time. Against our greatest mistake.”

*****

            I heard these words. Knowing them to be utter truth. I always held back. Unless it was to take the hit for someone. Knowing I could shield most demis and citizens. I approached the Three, “How can I help?”

            They replied, “Live. Love without reservation or fear. See the good within. Even the Artock can be saved. Many do no follow Unity out of Faith. It was programmed into them.”

            Another version of myself came into view. Moving through the soft mist. Her face clouded by grief, “It's my fault. All my fault. I’m sorry dad. I know you’d….” Her uniform was stark white, with a powered defender belt at her waist. It wasn’t like mine. Her’s was Scholar tech. I reached out and beheld another Earth.

They had defeated a piece of Unity!

I dived into her memories. Only brushing the surface.

Their Earth was 100s of years behind us. Unity had breached their universe thinking it was Eden. Another planted distraction by the Weave. Yet love and life had prevailed. Magic and assistance by other Scholars had been a key component to defeating Unity. Yet a Dexter of that realm had nearly fallen for Unity’s tricks. Believing that his plan was the only way to save his universe and pawn Unity off onto another sector. Yet his sister’s hope and determination had saved him as well.

Bringing light back into a darkened universe.

I pushed the images of Io into her consciousness. Her father would live. He lied deep within the Scholar complex within that planet. Not home to ethereal beings. Yet it housed the keys to a brighter tomorrow. I sent the formula for prolong as well. The Silver Lady bent down. Her hair tickling my left ear, “A mirror yet one that will help when the time comes.”

The signal to that wayward Universe burned within my mind. I would summon them when the time came. Their demis were nearly as abundant as ours.

******

            Dexter shouted, “AGAIN!”

            Eliza’s foot thudded against his chest. He barely felt it. He growled, “HIT ME! “

            This went on for what felt like weeks. Yet it was a start.

            Void observed, “They will balance one another.”

            Silver nodded, “With time.”

Issue 6 : Here

The Dexter Chronicles/Guardians of the Soul: Here

No comments:

Post a Comment