Tuesday, July 27, 2021

The Uplift Protocol: Point Of Origin Issue 6

Issue 6: The Eyes Have It

 

            A new system of Planets Joins the Union today. Even though they have Typherian roots they have decided to name their faction: The Whitehome Defense Force. One thing is certain, Earth and her allies have more options. Artock attacks outside the Milky Way Galaxy continue to accelerate. Most military analyzes suspect technology outside of our known universe!—Terran Alliance News Network

            Alert all agents in the field. The Arcane Council suspects a surge in enemy deployment. The presence of Void Walkers within the Whitehome Sector troubles all of us. No controller Keepers were detected. If they only operated with mere scout husks. That is troubling enough. Most times they need a driving wipe like Ishtar or Chronos.—Intel report to Sir Avalon

            After Whitehome was able to link to the wider Universe: I got an update. My brother had been highly proactive. He understood me well enough. Yet now? I had to come out of my shell even more. I know some women have an inherent mindset made for warfare but I wasn’t one. Not from the outset. Not that I was a pacifist. I knew the destructive abilities of my body. My brother’s story? He learned from his very birth what was at stake. That is a story for another time.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 23rd century (vol 2)

Union Hall (Earth)

Hall of Records

December 8th, 2115

           

The Amazing Grace withered under the stony faces of the statues.

They were of her demi team. The Mavericks. Yet she knew what sin she had committed. Even though she had been under the influence of Chronos’ machinations. She had given Nyx the records she had desired. That of children with magic potential. Parents of ancient bloodlines. Sir Avalon thumbed a sequence of numbers into the floor at the center of the Record Hall. The Golden Redeemers were here as well. The core team that is.

            Arthon pondered, “It wasn’t your fault. I imagine some of those records were false leads as well.”  O’rioh sniffed the air. How strange. Humanity’s ties to magic. He found it thrilling that his people didn’t know everything. Emerald K-9 floated above everyone. Testing the wards. Sir Avalon pulled Grace in closer. Lightly tapping her forehead. His face relaxed. An easy quirk of his lips reassured her.

            “What Arthon said is true. Sul’sundra suspected all Muthra would be at risk so we changed things around in here. Even the Arcane Heads only have bits of the code. In case someone is compromised.”

            Grace heaved out a pent-up breath. Cradling her face in her hands.

            “Thank the creator!”

            White Lily rested a hand on the other woman’s shoulder, “You didn’t know. It’s a wonder we kept Eliza safe all this time. Considering the wider picture!”

            Augustus trotted over to nudge Star’s freshly polished red boots. She was in her old uniform once more. Anna snorted, “I saw what happened to all those old sweatsuits. Wondered who bought them all in bulk!” Eliza saluted. Her two fingers near her brow.

            “I figured they’d come in handy!”

            Anna rolled up a piece of paper and tossed it at Eliza’s head.

            It bounced harmlessly to the floor. There was no rancor in Anna’s expression. Just wry amusement. They had come a long way since that fateful day with the US Postal Trip Gone Wrong. Golden Bulleteer waved everyone down. “Let’s see what our magical chess masters have for us today!”

*****

            I watched as Lorain gawked at all the artifacts within the room.

Sir Avalon said, “This is just the basics. Zanzibar has been very prolific. Alongside those Pinkerton fellows. We have found quite a few surprises left by Thoth. We suspect others attempting to destabilize the laylines. ”

As we moved further down the hall, ice formed along the stone surfaces. Doc shot me a grateful look when I removed my cape and wrapped it around her. Eddie grinned, “I could have my wife enchant it!”

He beamed. Pride at his wife’s accomplishments. His children were already showing magical aptitude yet it would be a few decades before they’d reach any form of mastery. That development meant only one thing though: Nora’s physical makeup had been altered by carrying his children. She could perform basic cantrips now. Not just Light Shaman rites. The purple-skinned woman in question aimed a generous kiss at Eddie’s cheek. He picked her up. “Just glad that you can go around in the open now.”

That was a recent development.

We were playing it off as finding her within a magical realm. Everyone was looking for space elves now. That had been first coined to the Typherians but after E’ratha’s social media explosion most had written Typherian humor off as morose or stiff at best. Mom couldn’t disagree. Many House officials, even the ones that managed to escape with their Commons counterparts, didn’t have one humorous bone in their body. V’alkor did. So did my grandmother. My uncle indicated they were atypical though.  Mom glowered at me. She pushed my father forward. His bracers lighting up the room as Isis exclaimed, “I wondered where my old staff had gotten to!”

Yes, we were all in our demi personas.

Doc plucked it from the weapon’s rack. Testing its weight. Giving me a very light tap on the stomach. My Banner suit responded.

///Please be advised: Major magical artifact detected. Shielding down 25%.///

Isis winced. Her image fading as she ducked behind dad. The glint of her gem indicating she had decided to withdraw for now. I wasn’t able to get an empathetic reading off of her due to her incorporeal status but I could guess. Sheer embarrassment.

Her voice sputtering with what I assumed were Egyptian curses.

Sir Avalon took the weapon as Lorain’s face turned an interesting shade of pink.

I was missing the point. I asked, “So what was that staff made for?”

Sir Avalon rubbed his chin.

“It was said Isis defeated Death itself with this staff.”

Dad choked back suppressed laughter.

Based on Lorain’s elevated heartbeat, she was picking up on subtext that flew over my head. I just shrugged. “It’s pretty effective. I’d probably feel it without this suit of mine. The magic that is!”

Nola's hand thudded into Eddie’s chest, “Hush you!”

In retrospect, I am both horrified and glad  I didn’t pick up on the undercurrent.

Mom glowered at people for days.

The glowing blue doors before us swung inward. Within was someone I didn’t expect.

Dexter waved us over to various chairs set out. They were made of wood and well worn.

He began, “The Arcane Council knew of us. Even beyond Aether’s memory shielding. This is what happened on my end while Eliza was growing up.”

Black materialized behind Dexter. His three golden eyes glued onto me. “What your brother helped me protect prevented Unity from breaching the Ouroborours around Eden.”

The chairs lit up like the 4th of July.

The world around us had changed. I didn’t recognize it but my brother did. So did Black and White. The reality between souls.

The Inbetween

Black’s Domain

October 20th, 2082

 

            Dexter Murphy shuddered. The tendrils of corruption were creeping ever closer. It was seeking them. His sister had no clue. He didn’t want her involved. Her memories gave him the strength of what normalcy was. Cookouts. Hamburgers. Parents who loved him. This thing was the exact opposite. It devoured souls, places, animals, the very lifeblood of creation. At 8 years old, he had never known any other life except for the memories of his sister. Black asked, <<I wish things had been different. The Path of the Ancients wasn’t meant for our time.>>

            He glanced upward. If he concentrated enough he could see through the threads into other universes. In some? He was the villain. In others? A broken man wandering a wasted hollowed-out earth. His sister was never born. He couldn’t bear to watch it all at once. He shuddered as he beheld a world where his mother was a conqueror. His father was a despot. They were the Urraden in that scenario. He shouted, “WHY SHOW ME THIS!?”

            He often demanded it of the Weave. To provide answers.

            Three figures bloomed. The shrouded cowls familiar to him. He pointed accusingly, “You are no better!”

            One flinched as if it had been hit. The white cowled head dipped low.

            Offering a hand in supplication. Dexter raced along the In-Between. Past the figures and lives ruined by Unity. Covering his ears. “I wanted to be normal! I WANTED TO BE REAL!” Only when he slept was he truly substantial. Playing games with his sister. Even if it was through a mirror. That scholar Di'axi mocking him with his freedom.

*****

            The scene froze. Dad was holding mom. This wasn’t going to be the most pleasant of journeys but it would help me understand. My brother was a bit of an enigma to me. I smiled sadly, “Let’s go then. I have been shielded long enough.” Dexter nodded.

His face pensive. “I only ask that you indulge a terrified 8 year old. The Weave put weight on us both before we were born.” He threw his arms around our parents.

            Kissing the top of mom’s head. “I didn’t want to reveal this. Not truly but for understanding it must be done.” My father growled, “Show us all of it son. Leave no stone upturned. You’ve carried the burden alone long enough.”

            The scene resumed.

*****

            In his dreams, he ran with his sister. Skipping stones down by the lake she loved. Watching the ducks float across the water. Her back hitching with fire as she moved. A spear of guilt ripped through him. He had her nodes. She was silent. Moving through the pain with as much grace as she could. Even with some amazing demi powers developing she would never reach the physical heights he would. He apologized endlessly in these waking dreams. She would smile brightly, “I am glad I have a brother. It makes sense when I sleep. I wish I could give you food! Grandma makes good pies.”

            He shook his head. His wild brown locks were more akin to a lion than a boy.

            “It's ok. I can taste the memory of it. Mom and dad know part of the truth!”

            He hissed. Remembering that gray mottled face with the cross-shaped scar.

            Eliza bit her lip, “I know the monsters are out there. We have to get stronger!”

            He pointed at their waists, “We will. But we must feed them as well. Without us, Black and White will fall.”

            Eliza regarded her brother. Questions burning in her eyes.

            “What is that? This Black and White?”

            Dexter crouched, “A long time ago….”

Issue 5: Here

The Dexter Chronicles/The Ouroborous:  Here

No comments:

Post a Comment