Sunday, November 7, 2021

The Uplift Protocol Escape Velocity Issue 11

Issue 11: The Cry from the Mountain

 

            I see the faces of my ancestors and they weep. Some mysteries should have remained just that. At rest. Never to be rediscovered.—Avandar of Itol State, Genesis Prime

            With time came understanding. Under the Pyramids, the gifts of the Arcane Order reside. Ta’mathon did not begin here. He was brought. This was not happenstance.—Lorain Lanis. Private recordings.

            It all comes back to the Ouro. Yes, the Markav Collective built them. In response to the Breaking of the First Cycle. But who gave them the pattern? Who gave me my mission? What controls the threads of Time? Not Unity. It was never Unity. Historians in the future might argue the surface-level details but Unity had never been able to copy what it hated. It just fabricated what it could. The Truth was forever in the hands of the Divine.—Sleeping in Starlight, a memoir of the 23rd century (vol 3)

Planet Otish

5th Cycle Outpost

April 11th, 2116

 

            Avendar watched as Lanis approached. She was just as he remembered her. Minus the flowing white robes. It pained him to see her brought so low. Carrying the evil of the All-Father around her neck. He was the last of the Arcanus. It had been so long. His vigil was great. The Icath had plucked him from the fall of Genisis Prime. Brought him to a place on Earth called Eygpt. Now? He would fulfill his promise to the healer. His face was still his own under the camo net. His people were zombies. Enslaved to the first fall. His lower two arms were wrapped around his lower torso. His “eyestalks” twitched. Locking onto Sy’ra as she passed by. The Scholar’s face was composed under the grit. Yet he sensed a twinge of fear. Not for herself but for the bundle that Lorain clutched to her chest. The All-Father’s necklace was reversed. Resting against the doctor’s back.

            He fell in behind the other drones.

            He would not fail.

            He would take them by the old tunnels.

            To the Arcane cache.

*****

            Lorain caught herself against the stone wall. This place was a mix.

Ancient design but modern power sources.

She couldn’t keep thinking of the baby as the Boy. She could see markings under his skin. His mother had left a message but Lorain feared to examine it while the All-Father clawed at her mind. One of the Artock moved forward. Lifting her into its arms. Its eyestalks were pure white. In broken English, it asked, “Recharge human? Master needs the energy to transfer. Hers gone.”

The amulet shimmered. Its voice cold, “Noted. Take them to the pools.”

Sy’ra examined the Artock who held Lanis.

The Dreaming spoke the truth. She followed.

The last gleaming of Genisis Prime road with them.

               

The Jupiter Rising

Docking Bay

April 11th, 2116

 

Cooper snarled, <<Unclean!>>

He sprang towards the wraith hounds. Forming a barrier. Tendrils of green energy lashed out. Dragging the smokey forms towards the empty void of space. Robin fired two additional arrows at the remaining bits of sand barrier around the undead sorceress. They sparked like sunrays upon iced water. She covered her face as her robes caught on fire.

She screamed, “Paltry weapons of a false god!”

Robin detected the wild fear underneath her empty threats. She had not expected this. Direct resistance. She was used to the fragile souls of her home realm.

The Muthra formed a triangle around her. Their tattoos were awash in white light.

            Arthon shouted, “Together! PULL!”

With the combined will of the Muthra, they sucked her into the awaiting prison.

            Her decrepit face twisted. Skin flaked off as the last remains of her living shell dissipated.

Ren hissed as the obsidian rock encircled her arms.

Ta’mathon’s hated visage nose to nose with her. She spat. The stone smoked in response. The light sigils burning her eyes. Even when closed she could see the protective seals. All around her was a dark ocean. Beyond the simple circle of light endless chanting. It made her skin itch. Nothing she had learned had been true. How had they known? She had copied Lanis down to her genetic makeup.

Ren’s lips twisted, “You!”

            Ta’mathon’s holo image shimmered, “I have waited a long time to display this recording. Earth knew of you long ago. Many still underestimate us. Because one’s like you devalue your own Earth as well.” She tested the bonds. Her muscles remained frozen. White powder crawled up her body until only her eyes remained uncovered. Ta’mathon’s message continued.

            “You will sleep.”

            As the last bits of powder entered her eyes, she howled, “I will kill your descendants!”

 

*****

Mary exhaled. “Good work!”

            The only reason there had been no casualties was due to Arbiter intervention. The Arcane Order held many cards close to its vest. The only thing Rosetta Stone knew about the leader of the Order was that it had been saved by Eliza.

Her voice modulated into a masculine tenor. She wished she could reveal more to Arthon and the others but they were on a timeline passed down before Ta’mathon. The Arbiter of the Arcane Order guided their steps. It was why they had to keep Eliza in the dark as well. She had left instructions after all. Mary sympathized. Even her husband and daughter had no idea about her part in the Order’s protection and planning.

Jupiter’s coms sparked to life, <<The Bardaxians are requesting that they assist with the transfer of Ren to the Prison Point.>>

Mary nodded, “Send them to these coordinates. C.A.P scouts will me us there.”

The next phase was to stick Ren into the pressure cooker with Bel and Mordred.

Robin leaned in, his mouth saying one thing but the ancient coded hand signs displaying a different message.

“So! What else can England do for merry old Earth?”

I know some of the Arbiter Proclamations.

What’s the point of putting that snake in with the others?

Mary pulled Robin to the far side of the docking bay. “I know it’s a lot to ask but…” Her hands flashed in response.

Higher Magi Aspect: The Lifestealer will lead us to the End Roads.

Robin frowned. His eyes were drawn to the shuttle. His hands continued.

“England will support you.”

Time Travel is a fickle thing. By Astra. Shall we carve out the pathways to the Future.

Mary replied, “And we thank you for your support.”

It is. I only pray it continues on its closed path.

 

 

Earth (Egypt)

Old Quarter, The Golden City

April 12th, 2116

           

Auggie barked excitedly.

            I was carrying him in my arms. Circling the great pyramid below.

            As I landed a great white paw batted me on the head. It was P’tah.

<<Follow! The Ring of Memory awaits!>>

As we entered the stone foyer a great fountain flowed through the center. Lines of water formed a circle. With each end shooting out into an adjacent hallway. Ptah stepped on a particular stone tile and the fountain slid away. Under it was an underground passage. He flowed down the steps into the darkness below. I followed. Still carrying Augustus in my arms. He stilled. His triangular ears perked forward.

<<Many answers. Prepared now!>>

            Ghostly lights danced around us. Along the walls were pictograms. Not what you’d expect from the old era of the Golden City. P’tah stopped before a giant mosaic. Ta’mathon was in the middle. By his side were two women. One of their faces was obscured by a solid white mask. She held a silver staff. Or perhaps a spear. Her armor flowed around her like a second skin.

The other? The white robes curled around a golden necklace. Each with white jewels. Much like a sunburst. My eyes narrowed. Those features were burned into my soul.

            “Lorain?”

            Ptah bowed his head, >>Known as the Lady of the Isles in Ta’mathon’s time. This place was her’s. Follow!<<

His voice flowed into my mind from his jewel. With a few more presses along the wall, another alcove opened. Much like an iris. Beyond was a perfectly preserved room. As I stepped across the threshold I fell to my knees. The emotions of this place battering at my metal reserves. Auggie’s voice was distant. <<The Dreaming will show you the way.>>

A tunnel of light sprang forth. Engulfing my body.

A warm hand touched my neck, “Look to these stars.”

They formed the shape of a mighty Lion. Fire cascading from its sharp claws. At its mouth poured forth endless Artock.

A masculine face rose above it. Genesis. Gemini! The true form of the Primes along the Path of Ancients. Before the corruption of Chronos. His white beard was peppered with a dark honey color. A golden set of disks etched into his forehead. His four arms were robust. Taller than me too. Over 10 feet.

<<I will get them to the ship. The music of the dark mirrors will try to poison everyone. You must reach Tarkanan. Ride the White Haze. Stop the White Mother. Only you can. Her rage will be terrible. Too much pain. You know this.>>

I awoke gasping for breath.

Everything in this room was from Lorain. Down to the sleeping chambers. P’tah nudged my shoulder, >>We are in an endless dance. Past. Present, and Future beckon you. Feed you. In time, all will be laid bare.<<

            Lorain’s voice hummed from a small music box. I reached for it.

            The outer casing reacted to my touch, “Use this to free Avandar. You will know him by his mark.” The rush of emotions that followed made me turn away from the others. I raced to the sidewall. Opening one of the closets. It retracted to reveal a set of robes. My vision focused down on the fabric. Nanites crawled upon the surface. Tiny squares that spun endless rejuvenation webs. Similar to what Doc did with the healing pills.

            The metals were native to Earth.

            My mind buzzed. I turned and found a mirror. In its pristine reflection, I no longer wore my usual clothing. That silver material flowed over my body. My face was far older. My hair flecked with gray at the temples. Along the top. Curling around my neck. I turned my face to the side and found it bound up in a silver clasp. My reflection winked and the mirror faded. Obsidian took its place. Auggie barked, his nub of a tail brought a strained smile to my face.

            <<See? You are everywhere. Important. Will find the way to the Path. No matter the era. You and Doc are an Ouroborous of each other. Flowing from one moment to the next. Connected for all time.>>

            I glanced down at him, “When did you become a time travel expert?”

            The corgi spun in a circle, <<Ourobouros is more than a Wall!>>

            P’tah added, >>It can either eat itself or flow along the threads.<<

            I rubbed my temples. “Captain Cosmos made this a whole lot easier to comprehend.”

            I walked around the other compartments. Certain items blurred when I got too close. A strange symbol floated above them. I suddenly thought of Mary. She’d probably be able to translate. A leather-bound book floated towards me and hovered. In Lorain’s neat scrawl was the word, “Mother.” I wasn’t able to read the title of the cover. It was geometric shapes. Maybe some sort of math equation?

            I took it and stored it in my blue jacket. Doc would often say she could hide a whole ration meal in my pockets. I took it as a compliment. I turned and said, “P’tah, are you implying that Unity tried to mimic the Ouro Walls as well?”

            The Icath bared his teeth at me. His amusement deepened.

            I elaborated, “Ahh. I have to guess then. It tried and failed. But something took form from it. Like the Dark mirrors to the Weave’s mirrors. Yet what would Unity make….”

I sat on the bed. It was made of stone but the actual mattress? Healing nanites woven into the sheets. A pleasant wave of warmth cascaded down my back. My mind wandered. If I was an Ouro along with Lorain, but in human format, what would Unity try to make in our place? In the place of the Walls of the Multiverse. It couldn’t create. Much like I wasn’t able to. It couldn’t have children. It could only poach them. I whispered, “It took from the Path of Ancients. That’s where it planted its Ouroborous Cage.”

P’tah contented purr was all the confirmation I needed. I asked, “Why let me know this? Won’t Unity get some of this information later?”

Auggie responded, <<Oh yes. But we must give you enough to act on. It will get information from you! But you will need enough to bluff it as well. Get information from it as well.>> The words along the roof of this room shifted. It had always been a battle of information. Not only of truth but of misdirection as well. A silver wolf’s head materialized.

“Make Unity chase false sticks!”

I blacked out.

*****

            P’tah stared up into the eyes of his old friend.

Sentinel’s ears flattened, “We will ensure the Road is laid bare. This Ouro must come to pass.”

The Icath knew where that road would lead. He would follow the Order to its resolution. To ensure life, one must walk along the edges. He faced the Silver, “Know that the Arbiter’s Vigil remains.”

The wolf watched as the Dreaming took Eliza. The worry across her brow deepened.

She would need more strength for the battles ahead. Not the power of arms. The quick reflexes of the mind. Earth would not stand alone. Sentinel paced along the protected corridors of this living space. The sarcophagus of Ta’mantoth and the others were safe. The temporal threads safeguarded their bodies during the long sleep while their souls were awakened in the gems of the Icath.

The world would need their wisdom. He would slumber a while longer. White still occupied the space he would inherit. Soon things would be as they should be. As promised by the Arbiter of the Arcane Order. Not just a people. Not just a space within the Dreaming. It was the will of the cosmos made manifest. Thanks to the 42nd. Connected across time. All working towards a better tomorrow.

To lose would be unthinkable.

Thoth would devour himself.

For that was all Unity knew.

*****

A familiar stone triangle rose from the sands. Ta’mathon pointed.

I followed. The stars swirling overhead. One in the shape of a dragon.

The moonlight touched the surface of the stars and they sang.

“Hiulk of the Dreaming.”

Three figures pointed, “Always in three. So it is with Titans.”

Two other dragons rose from the sands. Their eyes closed. Their breath was slow and steady. Ta’mathon’s voice carried across the desert, “You aren’t the only one who slumbers Eliza Murphy."

A knife made of bone spun on a crystal foundation. Thoth, his crimson eyes wild, screamed. “I will kill you!” The knife pierced my chest. Thoth’s face twisted into three heads. One with pitch-black eyes, reminding me of Hilary. The middle was milky white, while the last set of eyes were empty sockets.

Spittle ran down his chin, “I win.” He twisted the knife.

A throne of bones rose.

Endless mirrors of Earth spun behind us. Each vibrating out from my Earth.

There was another presence within the knife but before I could sense who it was the sand rose to bury us. When I awoke once more I was on a beach. Lorain rested her head against my shoulder. “It’s time to cash in on all those bets.” She was wearing those white robes. Her eyes were lined with black ink.

She moved. Resting an index finger on my lips.

She straddled my chest and reached in. Pulling out another object.

A silver sailing ship. With one red stripe along the side.

I mumbled, “Jupiter Rising. I miss my ship.”

She kissed my forehead. “You will know who to bring.”

The taste of cotton candy filled my mouth.

Reminding me of our dates along the boardwalk in New Ashbury.

“Earth to Murphy!”

I blinked. The cool breeze of a well-modulated room hit my bare arms. My aunt Q’vera was standing over me. “It must have been one heck of a day to have a corgi of all things walk you home.”

Auggie tilted his head, <<Egypt has many secrets.>>

Q’vera crossed her arms. “Well, they are bringing the Jupiter back safe and sound. You can even move back in. Arthon will fill you in.”

I blurted out, “Just like that huh? So they don’t need that weirdo mimicking Lorain anymore?” My aunt’s face curdled, “Nope. Let’s get to the spaceport, Ill fill you in on the way.” As I put on my jacket the leather book reminded me of a distant memory, “Mind if Mary tags along?”

The white noise within my mind let me know that this time, these memories were on time delay, the Weave’s way of apology.

*****

            Q’vera brought up the code. Mary’s face filled the screen, <<Package received.>>

            She waited for the counter code.

            Then sighed in relief as it hit her HUD.

            “One step at a time.”

Eliza turned, “I thought that was one small step?” The hum of the anti-grav engines lifted the 4 passengers to space. Eliza’s fingers danced across the console.

            Q’vera smiled, “Time to get the Redeemers back together.”

Her niece's face lit up, “Finally! SO we are extracting Lorain then?”

            Q’vera replied, “Yep. And you will be at the head of the vanguard.”

*****

        White replayed the Dreaming vision over and over.

She would not allow Eliza to fall to the machinations of Unity. Even if she had to release all her energy. She would save her young friend.

White muttered, “I will no longer take from Murphy. I am healed. I will cleanse Tarkanan.”

Issue 10: Here

Issue 12: Here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment