Wednesday, December 2, 2020

YA: The Cesspool

 Yes, because when I was 10 I needed "Diversity." Riiight.

When I was in my teens, (13-17) I read COYA books, Goosebumps, The Hobbit. James and the Giant Peach, and Narnia.



They didn't contain sex, sexuality (From what I remember) or more "adult" themes like R-rated stuff, nudity, extreme violence, things like that. Those books were geared to kids. Or teens. Modern YA isn't made for 13-17 anymore. It's pretty much GoT when it comes to themes but has more Love Triangles everywhere. Based on what I can see of samples. Or 1 or 2 star reactions from parents. 

  • Kids should just be Kids.
  • Imho: 15+ is when parents need to sit them down and talk about intimacy and sex. Not the school, from the parents. 

This vid gets the basics down and why I avoid YA. Its made for 40 year old women. Plus even people with certain sympathies are getting tired of it.

 

More and more things want pre-teen kids looking into their sexuality. Its disturbing to me. And to most people I imagine. I think people get venerability and flaws mixed up as well.

I think YA in general has effected my biases against teen protagonists.


Gonna keep discussing the defects of YA. You can defend it if you want but I find that sub-genre lacking because of who it really targets rather than a way to get actual kids to read more. I am glad I grew up when I did, at least I had good shows, books and other media to feed my mind.

YA is cringe because its being used as a vehicle for Adults to relive X Y or Z. (Imho) Just look no further than Dead IP land. 


And now I know why people say just talk and don't worry about showing your face. People aren't there to see your face, they want information about whatever wheelhouses they enjoy.

Literature vs YA mentality 


*wheezing* 

See? Why must they put that in a ridiculous amount of YA when you can make an Adult Romance book with happy relationships? That's what I am doing with Uplift Protocol, its not YA. Its A superhero space opera. With all sorts of adults in healthy stable relationships where they trust each other.

Ill link Uplift Protocol, still have 2 more issues to prep then the last 4 of Book 1 will be done. Only reason I am doing this is because some people said I should link it more often. XD 

Start of Book O: https://bit.ly/3bJ986L

Links to Books that I enjoyed as a kid as an initial setup:

No comments:

Post a Comment